UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2009, 1:12 pm   #1
moosemoosemoose
Retired Dormant Member

Default No Sound From Left Channel??

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help!

I recently acquired a Sanyo G-2711 Super 2 (music centre). Everything works great except for the above mention problem.
The left stereo channel has no sound, but only when using the turntable. The radio and cassette player work fine.

I have researched replacement cartridges in case this is the problem however I need to know firstly if it is the problem. Any ideas how to find that out? Here's what is currently fitted:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Sanyo-MG-28-Cartridge

The main question is, how does one go about connecting and disconnecting the cartridge from the (two earth & white/red) wires? Does this involve gentle tucking?? Some light soldering??
Which then begs the question, if I did get a new cartridge (such as this http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/Audio-...idge_1740.html), how does one attach that to the wires?

Hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 11th Apr 2009, 1:37 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: No Sound From Left Channel??

Leave the cartridge for now. Give the switching a good clean and check all cables and wires.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Apr 2009, 3:09 pm   #3
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemoosemoose View Post
The main question is, how does one go about connecting and disconnecting the cartridge from the (two earth & white/red) wires? Does this involve gentle tucking?? Some light soldering??
Normally the wires in the headshell will have small metal connectors soldered to them, as shown in the picture, and these are just a push fit onto the pins at the back of the cartridge.

To remove them, first make a careful note of which wire connects to which pin, then grasp the connector where the wire joins it with fine-nosed pliers, forceps, or even fingers if there's enough room, and pull gently.

Never solder anything directly to a cartridge - you'll probably ruin it.

Back to your problem. It's unusual for magnetic cartridges to fail like this, but not impossible. It's more likely to be a broken wire or connection, or bad switch contacts as Steve suggested.

If you can get the connectors off the cartridge, one thing you can try without dismantling anything else is to reverse the stereo channels at the cartridge (i.e. connect the left channel signal and earth wires to the right channel signal and earth pins, and vice versa). What happens? If there is now no sound from the right channel, but the left one now works, then the fault is with the cartridge, and you don't need to look any further.

If there is still no sound from the left channel, as before, then the fault is elsewhere, and you will need to delve further, starting with checking continuity between the headshell connectors and the wire terminations under the record deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headshell.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	24502  
Old 12th Apr 2009, 4:15 pm   #4
barretter
Heptode

Just a basic question : how many wires are currently connected to the cartridge? It looks like a normal stereo cartridge and there should be four wires connected to it.
Closed Thread