UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2018, 6:23 pm   #1
Goldie99
Heptode

Default A reminder to.....

.... cut off / remove / dispose of, mains plugs on equipment you're going to ship (or receive), or at least to pack them well separately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08569.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	160875 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08564.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	160872

What was once a very good cosmetic condition Sony ES series Hi-Fi amp, that had survived 30+ years almost unscathed - but is not any more... and all for the sake of a few seconds to do it properly. The damage even follows the monitor socket inwards, to the broken pcb behind it... the plug had been 'wedged' between the box and the back of the amp when it was packed, until the box took a knock...

In case anyone was wondering, I was the buyer, not the packer. At least I'll know in future to always insist sellers cut the plugs off & bin them before shipping !

First time I've had this, but thought it a worthy reminder for others...

Alan
Old 10th Apr 2018, 6:44 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: A reminder to.....

Fully agree Alan.
Received this recorder with the plug wrapped in plastic but a hard knock in exactly the wrong place caused this...

Fortunately I have the pieces and being the bottom should not be too noticeable after repair.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ADB7CC3E-A0AE-4529-B872-CD84494C72EE.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	160882   Click image for larger version

Name:	D949D8B8-A85C-43D0-B298-380C9E682560.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	160883  
Old 10th Apr 2018, 6:47 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

It shouldn't be necessary to cut the plug off if the item is adequately packed! In this case the amplifier was obviously totally incompetently packed. Unfortunately some people simply haven't a clue, or they just don't take the time and effort to do a proper job due to laziness.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:03 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

I think some people have no idea what happens to there parcel on it's travels , football /rugby comes to mind , Mick.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:07 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I realised years ago that 'delicate scientific instrument' is postal-speak for 'play American football with this parcel'
Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:54 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

Mmm. I had a perfectly good wireless arrive with me with the 13A plug smashed through the speaker grille. In that example the only packaging had been a layer of cardboard wrapped around the cabinet and bound with tape.

I will put it down to naivety.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:02 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

But AFAIK you cannot legally sell second hand electricals, in working condition, without a plug.

David
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:05 pm   #8
elanman99
Hexode

I have always 'overpacked' items and good I ship as I know the sort of treatment packages can experience on their travels. I think the only guaranteed (but expensive) way would be use a same-day courier because the item generally goes door to door with the same man and van.

I did try to claim against Hermes a couple of years ago when I packed a small teacup sized glass jug in a Russian egg arrangement of one box inside another. The jug was in bubble wrap in a small box and that was bubble wrapped in a strong 12" cube sized carton. The recipient signed that the parcel was damaged and sent pictures showing the broken jug and the perforated outer box. Something had speared deep enough to break the jug.

Even though whatever had been inside my box would have sustained damage I eventually had to admit defeat as the Hermes small print excluded glassware (I think).
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:24 pm   #9
bluepilot
Heptode

When I lived in Germany I never had any problems. Since I have lived in France, most of the radios I receive have been smashed in the post. Even things which have been perfectly packed arrive destroyed. They appear undamaged outside but obviously they throw the parcels around so much that heavy components such as transformers break loose and then smash everything else. Either that or the cabinets can't stand the strain and disintegrate. On one occasion I received a box that had obviously had a fork lift truck driven into it with a hole punched right through. In the meantime I've given up buying old radios online.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:24 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

This is poor packing and carelessness by the courier and I won't even guess!
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:36 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

The plug & socket regulations (1994) that requires a fitted plug to be sold with appliances apples to anyone who is selling the goods by way of a business. (pic below is a screenshot from the DTI electrical goods page)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reg.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	160890  
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:39 pm   #12
ionburn
Heptode

It has been my experience that a plug is an obvious problem, but many things I have seen wrecked were just from poor general packing.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 8:46 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

I've just been swapping (other) social media chat on this very subject. Part of the acceptance testing for nuclear flasks should be surviving a courier....

The points made about lack of foresight re. the packing of the plug is very true- but I've long maintained that the BS1363 13A plug is a camel of a fitting and this bulkiness/large protruding pins aspect is one of its poorer features. If everything had IEC C14s or Schuko plugs, packaging would be easier and less hazardous to delicate objects.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 9:07 pm   #14
music-centre
Heptode

Yes, good advice, I have received several items damaged by plugs over the years.
It is worth spelling out to the sender that you want it binned, I asked someone to please remove the plug before sending an item once and they removed it from the lead but still packed it in the box.....
Steve.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 9:54 pm   #15
Cobaltblue

The problem I have come accross is most of the courriers severely limit package size. making a "pocket" for the plug will exceed those sizes, I almost always remove.

It's bizarre I have had fragile sets with no protection arrive in one piece and solid sets well packed arrive as a kit.

Despite the move to on line retail IMHO the courriers are not improving.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 10th Apr 2018, 10:18 pm   #16
Oldcodger
Nonode

Packaging or courier? I've had two Airfriers (large glass bowl ovens with a heating element) arrive with no damage in maker's boxes. However, I was bothered by the fact that courier arrived in something like a PUG307, full of parcels.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 10:25 pm   #17
Station X

The "last mile" of collections and deliveries is frequently done by contractors using their own cars. My local guy seems to work for most of the carriers and he's always careful with stuff.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 10:47 am   #18
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Although the damage caused by mains plugs can be substantial, another potential problem arises with the substantial projecting Bakelite/metal handles fitted to a lot of vintage test equipment etc. A good bang may not break the rugged handle, but will often damage the cabinet where it is fixed.
I always remove these (with the buyers agreement) before packing, and, if possible, carefully wrap them up and place them inside the item (if there is room) often thus making the article easier to wrap as a bonus.
As has been said, the British 13 amp plug is an awkward item to pack, - (or to stow in portable apparatus). Tony.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 11:41 am   #19
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I've shipped radios to many foreign parts, even with ebay global without damage.
I pack in double boxes with wooden bracing inside and skids on the bottom.
Roped as well as taped with a big rope handle on top.
Being on a farm, I pack with straw, its better than bubble wrap and is greener.
Usually the box is too big for most carriers but DPD will take oversize boxes.Perhaps I am lucky.
I have had customers write back saying it took them over an hour to unpack.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 1:27 pm   #20
Refugee
Dekatron

My packaging remains unchanged since the 1970s.
They used to chuck the mail bags out of a mail car across the platform to a heap against the booking office wall. Then back again when the next train arrives.
Now they chuck them into a long wheel base van or freight container behind a high fence with razor wire to stop cameras.
The flight path and landing requirements of the packaging remains the same.
The package then has to face the additional hazard of distracted drivers with phones welded to the sides of their faces. Emergency braking and doors left open.
Couriers leave quite a challenging obstacle course when the doors are left open but I still made it without running over any of the boxes.
Closed Thread