UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:08 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default F connector sizes vs cables - what's going on?

Can someone with plenty of experience of fitting F connectors to cable answer me this. I bought some F connectors specified as being for use with RG6 cable. RG6 cable is specified as being 0.332" or 8.4mm in diameter - and when you fold the braid back it's going be a tad more. The so-called RG6 F plugs that I received are 6.53mm internal diameter measured with an internal vernier gauge. Ok, so that's on the 'peaks' of the threads, there's a tad more diameter 'in there' accounting for thread depth, bite and squeeze. So, is that right, RG6 cable of 8.4mm+ diameter is expected to be crammed into a 6.53mm threaded hole? Doesn't seem right to me. What is the correct internal diameter of an RG6 plug? Do I have RG6 plugs from that supplier?

Actually, this isn't the end of the story! Because of the above situation, thinking that it was maybe my own fault or lack of knowledge I bought another lot of F plugs described as being for use with RG9 cable. Now RG9 cable is specified as being 0.42" or 10.67mm diameter. They too arrived measuring - you guessed it - 6.5mm internal diameter. My guess is there's a glut of these smaller size F connectors around and unscrupulous sellers are palming them off to unsuspecting buyers. But what size and/or type of cable are these 6.5mm internal diameter plugs supposed to fit? Fitted with brute force onto RG6 cable, or maybe slightly loose (?) on RG4 cable that is specified as being 5.7mm diameter (plus folded back braid) ? ......
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:12 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: F connector sizes vs cables - what's going on?

I think the 6.5mm Connectors are the ones fitted to the generic Shotgun Satellite cable.

This is the cable so beloved by SKY etc.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:38 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Cheers Mike. Well, having just looked (I hadn't heard of it before) Shotgun cable is also know as WF65 Sky type (as you allude to), and that is specified as being 4.8mm diameter. But in that case, surely my 6.5mm I/D plugs would be too loose for that cable? I dunno...? Not that this matters much to me as I have't got Shotgun cable, but one of my queries was, what do these 6.5mm connectors fit? They don't seem to fit anything?!!
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:54 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

RG59?

Lawrence.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:04 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Just looked it up Lawrence and RG59 is 0.242"/6.14mm diameter, so from someone who has never jointed an F connector (yet - still waiting for the right kit!) that would appear to be a good fit into a 6.5mm connector by the time the braid is also brought into the equation. Thanks.

But this F connector mullarky is an absolute minefield, what with the seemingly hundreds of different types of cables and diameters, non-easily matched connector denominations (pause for breath) plus.. the attitude - and probably limited knowledge - of many sellers, it's not easy to get a cable and plug that actually fit each other!
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:56 pm   #6
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

CT100 sat cable is 6.55 or 6.65 od depending where you look.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 3:10 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

6.8 here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 13.18.20.png
Views:	339
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	160643  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:35 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

So those connectors would be a good tight fit screwed onto CT100 cable......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th Apr 2018, 4:30 am   #9
philthespark
Pentode

I normally use the crimp on type, much more secure, but I will agree you have to be careful with any connector these days as a lot of people only sell the "popular" ones. I needed some for a job and having ran out called into Screwfix,I picked up a bag, drove a fair distance to the job only to find they wouldn't fit! They were the narrow ones as used on the shotgun cable when I asked at SF why they only sold these, I got the reply, "because they are what most people want".
Now ok, yes it was my fault because I shouldn't have let my stocks run out, yes it was my fault because I should have checked before buying them, but it would have been helpful if they had stated in the catalogue that they would only fit shotgun cable.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 7:34 am   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
So those connectors would be a good tight fit screwed onto CT100 cable......
Well, that's my question, are we supposed to be - somehow - fitting 6.8mm O/D cables (plus braid) into F connectors that have an I/D of 6.5mm? Sellers seem to think so. I'm not saying it can't be done, just trying to find someone who has done it! In engineering terms it's called an interference fit, but there's an interference fit and there's an interference fit. It gets to the point where it just doesn't fit!
Old 8th Apr 2018, 8:26 am   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

I have a selection that I keep so normally don't have a problem. I do find that connectors that fit a cable size often have a different sized hole into which the centre core insulator should just fit so the copper conductor can't touch the earth casing. It does seem a bit hap-hazard with each cable and plug manufacturer seemingly doing their own thing.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 2:38 pm   #12
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

It's a while since I fitted an F connector onto a cable, but could it be that sometimes you don't fold the braid back against the outer insulator but instead simply remove the outer insulator and screw the connector onto the braid in situ around the inner dielectric?
Closed Thread