UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2018, 8:19 pm   #21
monaro0162
Pentode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-870 VHS Video Cassette Recorder (1985)

Thanks very much for your offer. The suspect idler shown in the machine, and the one from donberg at 49 euros (!). The suspect one doesn't seem to press hard enough on each wheel when it moves over between left and right. May be its the clutch underneath? As the belt kit is n/a at the moment, I'll be trying the boiling method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idler.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	161244   Click image for larger version

Name:	idler2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	161245  
Old 17th Apr 2018, 6:11 pm   #22
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

My NV-G10's idler assembly looks identical other than the white color. Mine is in excellent condition. Maybe the later white version is better than the black one.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 6:44 pm   #23
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Leave it with me and I'll see what I can find. 99.99% sure I have one of those.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 8:14 pm   #24
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
Maybe the later white version is better than the black one.
The all white version of this idler assy was the early type and failed fairly early on in the life of these and similar machines (NV370 etc.) that used similar decks (variations of the D1 mech) it is the later modified version that is the black and white type as pictured above.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 8:44 pm   #25
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Thanks for the info. What's the difference between the D1 and D2 mechanisms? I know some Panasonic's for the US/Canadian market had the same mechanism but with a geared idler and larger loading pulley. For example, this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txNqQsYSeqo
Old 17th Apr 2018, 9:09 pm   #26
Red to black
Nonode

I don't actually recall any of our UK machines having been designated as a D2 mech.

We just called most of them from this era, ie. from after the NV333/NV366 and the earlier machines,up until the release of the G deck itself, the "D Deck", unofficial of course .

Even machines that were not "officially" D1 mechanisms were basically very similar, some like the NV730 had a separate reel drive motor instead of being driven from the capstan via a belt, there were a number of variations on a theme and a lot of parts were not compatible across the different variations.

Even some Panasonic service manuals referred us to use the D1 deck manual for similar models/mechanisms that were not actually designated as a D1 deck, such were the similarities.

Edit: incidentally from what I remember about the early white idler mentioned above, was that some plastic tabs holding the two parts that were sprung together snapped off causing the idler carrier part to split into two, ie. separate, this led to tape chewing of course, the later black and white modified one was strengthened in this respect and fixed this problem, idler/tyre wear of course is a different thing altogether and happens to just about any rubber friction surface with use and age.

Last edited by Red to black; 17th Apr 2018 at 9:23 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 9:30 pm   #27
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

I have an NV-390 which I think is the first front loading VCR by Panasonic. The mechanism of it is the same as the NV-333/366. Two loading betls, belt-driven capstan and direct-drive reel motor. It just has a front loading mechanism instead of a top loading one. I think it's called the "A" deck.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 10:41 pm   #28
vhs doctor
Pentode

There are two mechanim versions with the VXP0521 (konig 1052) the latest was the D1 (such as panasonic nv-g10 the previous was used in earlier models ex BLAUPUNKT 301. The main differences was the belt on the cassete carriage and the intermediate gear between idler and clutch is higher than D1.Limiter roller, mode selector switch and other parts are the same.

The black- white idler is the original panasonic made in japan as a part supplied in a transparent package with blue paper. The idlers with a strange S letter and white colour was manufactured in china and from other companies.

The only modification that i have notice was the intermediate gear. The original was plastic. The later version which supplied from konig was plastic but the upper part have a rubber tire in order to have better friction with idler tyre.

In my opinion D1 was one of the most reliable mechanisms ever.

Last edited by vhs doctor; 17th Apr 2018 at 11:01 pm.
Closed Thread