UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:21 pm   #1
Righton!
Triode

Default Fidelity HF 43 Record Player

Hi there, I am new to the forum & this is my first post.

I've recently picked up an orange Fidelity HF 43 Record Player with the intention of "doing it up" and getting it to run as best as I can. It's going well so far, as I have unseized the turntable, cycle cam and spindle and even managed to spin a 45 on it with no apparent major problems so far.

Two issues, one being the plastic stepped pulley underneath the turntable that operates the idler wheel for changing speed appears to be completely stuck, thus not being able to change the speed via the changer on the deck. Silly question but should the stepped pulley be moving on the spindle it's attached to? There is also a spring on the spindle underneath the stepped pulley. If so,what can/should I use to free it up, WD40, 3 in 1 oil?

Also it's not got much volume. I'm guessing it could be the capacitors as there is a hum when turned up full volume. I also thought I should try and fit a new cartridge. I have taken a chance and managed to get a cheapish new flip over cartridge in the hope it will fit the player, looks like it should. It has the one screwhole in the top of it to attach to the tonearm I think.

It's a cool looking thing so hopefully I can get it running as good as I can.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:48 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Fidelity HF 43 Record Player

The stepped pulley should not move independently of the motor spindle to which it is attached (I assume you are speaking of the motor pulley, although all BSR & Garrard decks I've ever seen have metal stepped pulleys. (The deck in the HF43 is almost certainly a B.S.R one, b.t.w.), but I'm not sure which one. The spring to which you refer tensions the rubber iidler wheel, a.k.a. 'Jockey Pulley' This must move easily up and down as the speed selector is changed. Most problems of this nature are caused by hardened grease,, and all old grease should be cleaned off affected parts. There is a 'sticky' (pun intended!) thread at the head of this section which explains in some detail how to service autochangers, but do not use WD40 for this purpose.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 11:46 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righton! View Post
Two issues, one being the plastic stepped pulley underneath the turntable that operates the idler wheel for changing speed appears to be completely stuck, .
I think what is being referred to is the stepped plastic assembly responsible for raising and lowering the idler in relation to the motor pulley. The speed switch shifts a rack whose teeth in turn engage with and rotate the plastic assembly.

You can see something similar in this crude video I made (about 3 mins in). Needless to say, clean all the old grease off and relubricate.

Last edited by ben; 4th Apr 2018 at 12:06 am.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 9:06 am   #4
Righton!
Triode

Ok.Many thanks for you replys.Have not quite cleaned & lubricated properly as yet but will do when i get time.Will let you know how i'm getting on.Thanks very much for the info
Old 19th Apr 2018, 3:39 pm   #5
Righton!
Triode

Default Cartridge for a Fidelity HF43 Record Player

Hi. Can anyone recommend a suitable (new) cartridge for a Fidelity HF43 Record player?. Preferably something that won't break the bank!. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 19th Apr 2018, 4:51 pm   #6
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Cartridge for a Fidelity HF43 Record Player

Hi, i think you will find it's a BSR XM stereo compatable job.

Paul.
Old 19th Apr 2018, 6:19 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Cartridge for a Fidelity HF43 Record Player

How do you know that the existing cartridge is fauty - it might be just the stylus or a loose connection? If you do need a new one these are still available at between £35-40. From memory you will need a BSR SC11M. Youl find them via google.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 4:33 am   #8
Righton!
Triode

Ok. That's great. Thanks for that. Volume seems to be quite low and there is hum when turned up full volume. Once doing a bit of research I wondered if was due to faulty capacitors or cartridge. I'm fairly new to this so just learning as I go at the moment.

Thanks again.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 12:29 pm   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

A bit of hum at full volume is probably normal for this player, you need to do some testing before changing anything.
Feed a signal into the amplifier and confirm that works correctly. If it does then check the cartridge and it wiring. If not then fault find on the amp.

Perhaps do some research on how to fault find, it’s a very simple amplifier, I think it’s just one Integrated Circuit and a power supply.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 1:54 pm   #10
Righton!
Triode

Ok. Thank you for all of your feedback.
Old 25th Apr 2018, 11:22 am   #11
Righton!
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I think what is being referred to is the stepped plastic assembly responsible for raising and lowering the idler in relation to the motor pulley. The speed switch shifts a rack whose teeth in turn engage with and rotate the plastic assembly.

You can see something similar in this crude video I made (about 3 mins in). Needless to say, clean all the old grease off and relubricate.
Hi there. I've attempted to upload a photo of the plastic speed change mechanism. It appears to be completely stuck at present. I'm thinking it should move as there is a spring directly underneath. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1524651346218867607989.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	161767  
Old 25th Apr 2018, 12:34 pm   #12
Righton!
Triode

Breaking news! I have got the speed changer working! The shaft that holds the plastic mechanism was completely seized up! Had to take it all apart including the idler wheel to get at it. Thinking rust & dried grease was the culprits. Cleaned it all up. Put it back together and works a treat! So chuffed!

Thanks so much for your help and comments
Old 25th Apr 2018, 1:09 pm   #13
ben
Dekatron

Well done! Hope you get the sound sorted out.
Old 25th Apr 2018, 2:48 pm   #14
Righton!
Triode

Thanks Ben. Fingers crossed I can sort the sound
Old 25th Apr 2018, 4:13 pm   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A failing cartridge is often the cause of low volume, but not always. Do not start changing capacitors just for the sake of it. Some voltage measurements may be needed. but it's a very basic transistor amp. If you do change the cartridge, do ensure it is a stereo-compatible type like the original fitted i.e. flip-over and not turn-over.
Old 25th Apr 2018, 8:22 pm   #16
Righton!
Triode

Thanks Edward. Yes I was thinking it could possibly be the cartridge as the capacitors and amp in general look to be in pretty good condition, although I have not done any voltage measurements. As for the cartridge, I believe it's the BSR X5M (think I've got that right) that is required. Unfortunately they seem to be quite expensive.£30 was the cheapest I could find. Not sure if there is a cheaper equivelent available. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 10:21 am   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you can get a BSR X5M for just £30.00 then go for it whilst stocks remain!
These days, £30 is not at all expensive for these type of cartridges.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 12:17 pm   #18
Righton!
Triode

Ok.Thanks for that. Just one more question. Would a BSR SC12M be suitable?

Kind regards.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 12:22 pm   #19
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well that's a full 4 pin stereo cartridge and you would need to bridge the LH and RH channels. Also it may not play quite so loud.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 2:26 pm   #20
Righton!
Triode

Ah,i see.Actually I've just noticed that you had suggested a bsr sc11m in an earlier post.Perhaps i can try & look out for one of them.Thanks for the advice.Much appreciated
Closed Thread