UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2018, 4:44 am   #21
philthespark
Pentode

Default Re: Creda Freestanding electric cooker. 1970s

I'm a qualified spark with all the test gear, if you get stuck you can drop me a PM if you like and I'll pop over and test it all, but I only drink Guiness, LOL.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 8:25 am   #22
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I vaguely recall that "Electra" was a brand sold through Electricity Board showrooms. Whether all Electra items were made by the same manufacturer, I couldn't say.

Your cooker looks remarkably like our Tricity Triumph double oven that we had back in the '70s. No RCD tripping problems, but then our consumer unit still had semi-enclosed rewireable fuses!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th Apr 2018, 7:41 pm   #23
LukeG83
Hexode

Cheers philthespark that's a kind offer. Hopefully it's getting there now, just the main oven to dry out

Def sold through Electricity Showrooms as I even have the original owners booklet!!
Old 11th Apr 2018, 9:01 pm   #24
PaulR
Dekatron

Our Creda of the same vintage has removable sides in the oven. When taken out the elements are exposed. Could you do this and run a fan heater against the elements one at a time?

If that does not work, maybe disconnecting one element might reduce the leakage sufficiently to make the remaining element work. Heating the oven with that should drive the moisture out. It worked when I replaced one element in mine with one that had been stored in the loft for ages which tripped the RCD.

In nearly 40 years of marriage the good old Creda has been the only oven we have owned!
Old 13th Apr 2018, 11:38 am   #25
LukeG83
Hexode

Ah thanks PaulR - the main cooker is still tripping after about 2 minutes so it isn't getting warm enough to dry out - going to have to try taking the panels off and using a heat gun.

I was wondering if any users could recommend a suitable cooker extractor of a similar vintage that I could look out for. A modern extractor hood would look out of place with this cooker. Cheers
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:16 pm   #26
PaulR
Dekatron

We had a contemporary cooker hood but it was pretty useless to be honest. The modern more powerful types would probably be more practical.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 2:42 pm   #27
mark_in_manc
Octode

If you re-finish a modern unit in matching mustard-and-wood-grain-fablon, I'm sure you'll get the effect you're looking for!

(or - looks at colour wheel for complimentary shades - paint it purple)
Old 13th Apr 2018, 3:54 pm   #28
PaulR
Dekatron

Ours has a brushed stainless steel front and white body, not at all unlike modern units, it was just hopeless at being a cooker hood!
Old 13th Apr 2018, 3:57 pm   #29
regentone001
Heptode

when I was 10 we moved into a maisonette which was all electric mum always preferred gas to cook with but had to go electric so bought a Creda Carefree cooker. We were forever finding screws on the floor from it but never found where they should go. Mum eventually said it was carefree the way they put it together. We soon moved into a house again and mum went back to gas
Old 13th Apr 2018, 4:06 pm   #30
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
We had a contemporary cooker hood but it was pretty useless to be honest. The modern more powerful types would probably be more practical.
You could always fit a suppementary inline fan in the ducting if you found a oarticularly nice hood.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 4:19 pm   #31
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by regentone001 View Post
when I was 10 we moved into a maisonette which was all electric mum always preferred gas to cook with but had to go electric so bought a Creda Carefree cooker. We were forever finding screws on the floor from it but never found where they should go. Mum eventually said it was carefree the way they put it together. We soon moved into a house again and mum went back to gas
Well, I have to admit that it does tend to shed screws a bit!
Old 14th Apr 2018, 8:45 am   #32
LukeG83
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
If you re-finish a modern unit in matching mustard-and-wood-grain-fablon, I'm sure you'll get the effect you're looking for!

(or - looks at colour wheel for complimentary shades - paint it purple)
Just the look I'm after!
Old 16th Apr 2018, 12:45 am   #33
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Ours has a brushed stainless steel front and white body, not at all unlike modern units, it was just hopeless at being a cooker hood!
Was it a proper extractor or just a useless filter and recirculate job?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Apr 2018, 1:40 pm   #34
PaulR
Dekatron

It was one of the useless recirculating variety
Old 20th Apr 2018, 6:46 pm   #35
steve1010uk
Pentode

I used to repair cookers as part of my job, many's the time a new element was fitted and the ELCB tripped due to moisture in the new element.
My solution after making sure customer kids and pets were out of the way was to disconnect the earth and run it for a while, this generally solved the problem,
it's worth having a good look at the oven and grill elements as often if faulty the will be split in places.

Electra just means it was sold through one of the electricity boards.

Steve
Closed Thread