UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2022, 7:54 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default FM to AM converter problem.

Hi again, I have built the kit from Guy but alas it does not work. It is flattening the batteries in about an hour which are getting warm. Any thoughts on why this is happening would be very much appreciated. Thanks again, Dick.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 9:32 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Fm to am converter problem

It sounds as though you have a short somewhere. If it was working correctly (which as you say it isn't), it would only draw a few mA, and the batteries would give many hours of use. The most challenging part of construction is the RDA5807M FM receiver module as it's really an SMD component and not easy to solder.

I'd suggest that you look very closely at all of your soldered joints using a magnifying glass and reflow them as necessary.

The kit with the PCB layout and circuit is here:

https://www.i4cy.com/m0oox/fm2am/

You might wish to seek Guy's advice.

Good luck with it Dick.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 9:37 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,

I don't know the device in question, but first things I'd check would be that the battery connections are the right way round, then check for shorts or low resistance across the battery supply, also check any electrolytic caps are in the right way/ not shorted. Also look for solder bridges.

Regards,
Lloyd

Crossed posts! Will look at the link above
Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:16 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I'd also be checking that U1 & U2 are oriented correctly.

For either of those in a socket, try removing them and seeing if the batteries still get warm when powered up.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:13 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
I'd also be checking that U1 & U2 are oriented correctly.

For either of those in a socket, try removing them and seeing if the batteries still get warm when powered up.
U1 is a pre-programmed PIC from the designer - Guy Fernando i4cy and is fitted in an eight pin DIL socket. If damaged, (which it certainly would be if fitted the wrong way round), Guy, (who is a forum member but hasn't visited since August 2021), can supply a replacement for £12.95.

U2 is an RDA5807A FM module - a surface mount device which has solder pads only on the underside. It can't be fitted into a socket as it has no pins and there are no suitable sockets. The solder pads are closer together than a conventional DIL IC. (I'd estimate 2.125mm rather than 2.5mm).

It's a remarkable little module - an FM stereo radio chip that supports worldwide FM bands from 50MHz to 115MHz. There's no doubting that mounting it is the trickiest part of the project, but the saving grace is that if damaged, the current price of an RDA5807A on eBay is £1.19 + £1.20 post. Hence, if it's damaged, it's no drama to replace it.

The underside of the module with the solder pads visible can be seen in pic1 below.

The instructions with the kit give two options for mounting:

1) Solder it like any other SMD component to the pads on the PCB.

To do that is a one-way street - once soldered, it will be next to impossible to remove without damaging it. The edges of the pads are very close together. A great care is needed when soldering to avoid bridging them, and you can't see under the module to see if any contacts have been bridged. You need a fine tipped soldering iron, a good eye and a steady hand.

2) Solder fine wires to the ten pads on the module, and thread the wires through eyelets in the PCB and solder the wires so that if need be, the module can be unsoldered.

The converter originally featured in Summer 2017 BVWS Bulletin, built on stripboard, the layout of which is here:

https://www.i4cy.com/m0oox/fm2am/

I'm not keen on stripboard so I devised a PCB and soon discovered that the only easy way to mount the module was upside down beneath the PCB on Veropins, so the solder pads are visible.

See Pic 2.

Pic 3 shows the top of the PCB I devised.
Pic 4 is the underside of the PCB with the FM module mounted upside down with the solder pads visible.

I guess I made twenty or so at the time, which all worked straight off.

It's basically, and FM/AM 'pantry transmitter' which needs no connection to a radio, so is ideal for live chassis radios. In my location it picks up all the stations that can be heard on an FM portable radio.

There was a lengthy thread back in 2017 which ran to 2020:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=137154&page=3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FM Module Underside.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	268388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside of PCB with mounting pins for FM module.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	268389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of PCB April  2018 V2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	268390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside of PCB April 2018 V2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	268391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC90A pic 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	268393  

Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:33 pm   #6
agardiner
Octode

I have built a few of these and had the same problem. It has always been the FM module which has failed. As David has said, it is very difficult to solder even if you are experienced in surface mount technology, and very easy to damage. It would seem that it is super sensitive to static until in place.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 4:30 pm   #7
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Re: FM to AM converter problem.

Hi again, the fm module had already been soldered in by Guy so I did not go near it at all. Hope this may help. Dick.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 9:12 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: FM to AM converter problem.

Hi Dick,

It might be worth disconnecting the positive battery connection and temporarily inserting your multi-meter on the mA range in series to check what current is being drawn. Then remove the PIC from its socket and check the current again. If the current drawn is high with the PIC in place, and just a few mA with it removed, the PIC has been damaged.

If the current is still high with the PIC removed, there's a short somewhere, most likely a solder bridge.

Really, it can only be the PIC, the FM module, or a solder bridge that's causing the excess current.

Has it ever worked, or is it faulty from the outset?

Overall, in a working converter it should only draw a few mA. (It's programmed to switch off after 2 hours use in case its inadvertently left on).

Circuit attached.

All the best with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FM AM Converter Redrawn Circuit Only.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	268427  
Closed Thread