UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2022, 3:53 pm   #1
Kensalriser
Diode

Default Can you identify this vintage turntable?

Been around the houses with this and still no closer. Found in my father’s loft and clearly not used for several decades. Probably 1950s. The box is almost certainly home fabricated. It’s possible the entire thing is a self-build as my father was an electrical engineer and this would have been a breeze for him. There is no branding on the turntable or mechanism, the Selecta logo is a removable laminated disc that acts as a stroboscope and I have no what Selecta's core business was and if they made turntables. The motor has been suggested as Collaro - I'm not sure, though it's possible as he also had a Collaro reel to reel.

I can't seem to post image links to display here, so here's the link to the Lenco Heaven forum where you can see the photos.

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=41378.0
Old 19th Nov 2022, 6:16 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Can you identify this vintage turntable?

I have an old Decca turntable with an idler exactly like that - so possibly Decca - at a guess from the 40s. I'll see if I can find it and take a pic.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 6:48 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That black shrouded motor looks just like that on the 1953 BSR "Regent" single player deck. Be aware that the early Decca single players used the BSR GU4 deck which used the same/similar motor.
Old 19th Nov 2022, 9:02 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Almost certainly out of a 1950/51 Deccalian - any later and it would have had 45 as well. Selecta was Decca's record wholesale operation.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:23 am   #5
llama
Octode

I've got one of these in my stash somewhere. A previous owner - possibly my dad! - has rather crudely "turned-down" the 78 so it's approximately 45. I guess they used a file held against the running motor...
Graham
Old 21st Nov 2022, 12:51 pm   #6
Kensalriser
Diode

Thanks for the knowledge. So probably a self-build using parts from a Decca turntable?

Next question would be is it of interest to anyone? I don't imagine it's really worth anything but I would like to save it from the recycling centre.
Closed Thread