UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2012, 9:48 pm   #1
RAWicks
Retired Dormant Member

Default 'Ultra' 6002

Hey,

I recently bought an Ultra record player. Model number 6002. Can anyone shed any light on this record player?

What year it was released? Is It rare? How much it is worth?

It's a project I am doing. Buying old record players cheap, and just doing them up for my own pleasure.

I hope you can help!

Ryan.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 9:39 am   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 'Ultra' 6002

Hi Ryan

Welcome to the forum.

The manual is dated November 1962 and is available by clicking the box at the top right hand side of this page.

Colin M
Old 29th Mar 2012, 11:07 am   #3
RAWicks
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Colin.

Any idea how much it is worth?
Old 29th Mar 2012, 1:05 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's a very basic 2-valve design with no mains transformer, a modest 2.5W output and average-sized speaker, but with a nice Garrard Autoslim deck.

Difficult to know what it's worth. Ultra is not a name that buyers look for these days, sadly. It will also need professional servicing to make it run well, reliably and safely.

I'd take a wild guess at £20+, but you might get much more once it's serviced, especially if it's a bright colour and the covering is in excellent condition and without scuffs or tears. It also depends where you're selling it, and if someone who wants one comes along, of course.

Note what I've said above: there is NO safety isolating transformer, one wire of the mains lead goes straight to the amp's metal chassis and pickup screening braid. So the mains lead MUST be connected the right way round, and C1 and C6 MUST be replaced with appropriate types to reduce the risk of electric shock. Don't fit a 3-core lead.

Good luck with it,

Nick.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 1:33 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Good hobby, but I hope you know what you're doing electrically. The Ultra 6002 is a late 1962 model, and you must ensure that the chassis is linked to Neutral in the plug. Or else you may have a nasty surprise...

The circuit is here: http://www.service-data.com/product.php/6295/8224

As well as C1 and C6, I would also replace C3.

it does not have 'That' capacitor, but you may need a new cartridge as well. If so, Musonic do a good range...

http://www.musonic.co.uk/cartridges-...c-c-4_431.html

The valves are a rectifier (UY85) and a simple 1 valve amplifier (UL84). These may be OK. The heaters are wired in series and are taken from the motor winding. I hope that Brimstor X1 is OK.

Record players of this type do give a good account of themselves, but don't put your best LP's on it!!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 4:02 pm   #6
RAWicks
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your help guys!

One problem.. not sure if I want to spend that much on a cartridge.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 7:11 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Can be a problem, cost of spares, particularly if what you restore is not worth much even in good order. Soon you'll start hoarding stuff just in case...... "it's got to be worth a quid, just for the bits" can lead you into sticky territory sometimes, even if it does mean you might have that bit when you need it, you may not need it for 10 years, if ever
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Apr 2012, 10:45 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWicks View Post
It's a project I am doing. Buying old record players cheap, and just doing them up for my own pleasure.
Fair enough, but be warned that, bearing in mind the age now involved, sooner or later you will have to invest some money into the hobby if you intend to get the most from it. It's all very well buying the players cheap, but parts like idlers and cartridges can soon make things expensive, as you have seen. Don't expect to go into this as a cheap hobby, those days are gone!

Most of us here have a fairly high throughput of this sort of equipment, and have over decades built up stocks of spares, manuals and experience. This helps offset the cost somewhat of individual restorations. If you're serious, and intend to work on old players regularly (as opposed to the odd one or two), you should start doing the same - look for good parts deals in bulk on ebay and the like. Learn as much as possible as you go, and above all be patient - sooner or later, parts you are after will turn up at a sensible price.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 8:31 am   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And this kind of thing is a good source of spares too: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=81662
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 11:26 am   #10
RAWicks
Retired Dormant Member

Shall take a look at that.

Also, I'm trying to find a new cartridge for it but I can't seem to find a number on it. Does anyone know what cartridge I am looking for?
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 11:50 am   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

A BSR SC12H (stereo ceramic) is usually a good replacement for these old crystal cartridges. There are still plenty of them in circulation, and artificial ceramic elements don't die of old age like Rochelle salt crystals.

The stated output looks a bit on the low side; but bear in mind the internal impedance of ceramics is lower, so more of those millivolts will make it to the terminals.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:13 pm   #12
RAWicks
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you! Now I shall decide if £24 is worth to buy one.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 1:52 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

Note that being a stereo cartridge, it will have 4 pins; and some changers from the days before stereo have only 2 wires in the tonearm. (Some have 4 wires, but only 2 are connected; check out the tag strip underneath). See this thread for how to proceed in this case.

I should also point out, for the sake of completeness, that as well as the SC12H, there is an SC12M; which looks very similar but has a lower output, and will disappoint if used with just a UL84 or EL84. The SC12M can, however, be used in record players having more sophisticated, multi-stage amplifiers.