UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2010, 12:21 pm   #1
JoshWard
Octode

Default Decca Gramophone

Hi all, well in our auction yesterday I couldn't resist this little Decca wind up gramophone. I've always fancied one but they've always sold for more than I could afford (usually they get £30-£60, even in our general household auctions).
Luckily, probably due to the lovely weather and the fact this was a very long sale (in our 'smalls' saleroom we usually have about 500 lots, this was lot 499 and there was still plenty to go...) I managed to get it for £12.
As soon as I got home I set about restoring it, first of all was to dig out a 78 and see if it worked. This was the first time I'd ever operated one and it didn't even take any thinking to use it. I popped a needle into it (there were plenty of sharp ones in the needle store to the bottom right of the deck), took the brake off, wound it up and away it went
I have to say I couldn't believe how good the sound was, people tend to think of these as sounding terrible, naturally it wasn't vinyl or CD quality but looking at how primitive it actually is without even any electricity or loudspeakers involved it was quite astonishing.

Then came the next task, it was absolutely filthy. Years of sitting in a damp shed by the look of the rusty screws and the case. A wash with some warm soapy water and a treatment with carpet and upholstery cleaner sorted that out, it did take a while and a lot of cleaner though.
Next job was to take the deck out, this was an easy job and underneath I found the missing deck screws and some more needles! I cleaned out the inside and then set about cleaning the brightwork. Most of it came up very well with a wipe with a clean paper cloth, the rest came up well with some wire wool and the whole lot was finished with Brasso and has a fantastic finish. It's not immaculate, which is good, and it's not pitted everywhere. It has a few small honest age marks here and there. It goes with the stain on one side of the case which wouldn't shift...
I also decided to give all the screws a quick going over with wire wool which made them slightly more presentable.
The next task was to lubricate the motor, it was still nice and greasy so I just gave it some WD-40 as this is fairly light so hopefully it will make it run smoothly for many more years to come.

The longest job, as it involved waiting, was gluing some of the peeling covering, this was done in PVA using G clamps. After this I hoovered the turntable mat and put it all back together....

It went back together fairly easily apart from the side hinge which fouled on a screw that wouldn't go in straight. It is hard to access so I took it out and tried to put it in as straight as I could. It still fouls slightly but can be moved out the way easily.

The last job was to test it, and it still sounds as good as it did when I got it...
I got home around half four yesterday and restoration was officially done at 9:15 pm, although I am tempted to see if a bit of WD-40 will cure the one latch at the front which doesn't shut properly....

So in summary this was probably my fastest turnaround and the first thing restored in my new house, I am hugely pleased with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3210.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	37367   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3211.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	37368   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3215.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	37369   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3228.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	37370   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3230.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	37371  

Old 27th Jun 2010, 12:42 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Decca Gramophone

That looks a nice, tidy little chap Josh. Well done.

Is the deck covered with cream rexine? I'd have thought it'd be covered with the same colour Rexine as the cabinet. I don't know much about these Deccas though.

Beware of the spring. Even though the motor has retained some grease, have you checked the spring? When these fail they can be unpleasant, to put it mildly, things to change.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 12:45 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

Thankyou Yes it has a cream deck. Goes well with the blue anyway

What should I check for on the spring? It looked errmmm.... springy when I looked in the motor, seemed to be in good condition with no rust on it and fairly tight between the coils.

Does anyone out there know a model number for this by any chance and perhaps the year it was made? I haven't a clue...

Also what is the metal arm near the top right of the deck for? (it moves, and it's near the tonearm)

Josh.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 4:18 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Very nice. I have two gramophones a suitcase one and a floorstanding one. They sound remarkably good considering no electricity is involved. There are many accoustic 78s available to emphasise that.

Just one thing. What is the bicycle pump for?

Dave
Old 27th Jun 2010, 6:38 pm   #5
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Used in conjunction with the bowl of water to 'disperse' any potential competitive bidders ;-)

Nice job and a bargain to boot.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 7:03 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Presumably the pump's used to blow dust from somewhat inaccessible places; in the motor, for example.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 8:52 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

Nice little gramophone, Josh. It's a model 100, and was certainly available in the early 1950s. Made in red, blue and the usual black, and all had the cream motor board. If you've looked at the spring, and it still has good, slippery grease in it, then you'll probably want to leave it alone. It's only when the grease goes hard, and the motor starts making "bumping" noises as the coils stick to each other, that the spring really needs looking at. Not a job for newbies, with respects. I must have removed and cleaned hundreds of springs over the years, with never a hitch, until last week. I had about three quarters of a spring wound back into the drum, then a momentary lapse of concentration, and about fifteen feet of coiled, greased, sprung steel decided to fight back. Result?- three hours wait in Accident and Emergency, a badly gashed hand, and a distinct loss of pride!

Barry
Old 27th Jun 2010, 8:59 pm   #8
JoshWard
Octode

Indeed that's what the pump is for Darren.

I'd recommend it at as an essential radio tool, it's come in very handy for all my restorations.

I might just have a look at that spring sometime to check the grease on it, if it's hard then no doubt I'll be left with a hell of a job on my hands Mind you it's working as it is so I might just leave it.

I don't suppose it could be regreased (presumably with something light like WD-40 again?) effectively whilst in situ?....

Josh.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 9:14 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

Not really. You'd have to remove the spring drum to get the lid off, and then, with the spring unwound, all the coils would be tightly wound round the outside, with no way of forcing grease in. WD40 squirted into the drum would result in a thinned, greasy mess being forced out of the top and dripping into the cabinet. Then you would have stains to worry about! The only way to clean a spring properly is to remove it from the drum, clean thoroughly, (I use wire wool and petrol), straighten it out, then wind it all back in. I'd leave well alone till it starts giving trouble, which is not very likely. One of the first signs that a spring needs cleaning or replacing is slowing down on loud passages of music.

Barry
Old 27th Jun 2010, 9:21 pm   #10
JoshWard
Octode

It'll be fine

It's mainly used for entertainment purposes rather than my main audio playback system (although I so want to sit at school in lunchtimes with everyone sitting round me listening to their iPods and me listening to my 78s on this...

Indeed we had our housewarming today and its services were called upon and soon everybody was laughing and enjoying it. This might just be the best radio related thing I have bought, not one person doesn't like it! All my family like it, even the neighbours like it....

I absolutely love it. Wouldn't mind another....
Old 27th Jun 2010, 9:32 pm   #11
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

What's all this I hear about just loosening the drum lid and boiling the whole lot in parrafin to clean it?

Dave
Old 27th Jun 2010, 10:33 pm   #12
howard
Nonode

Well done Josh

It looks nice that now. I've actually got one of those Decca windup gramophones, very similar to that one except for its cover which is white with scenes of Little Miss Muffett painted on it. I take it out into the garden sometimes and play Elvis Presley 78s on it

Howard
Old 28th Jun 2010, 12:10 am   #13
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

portable machines like this were around £30 WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE. That was in the early 80s, so i think in relative terms a cheap buy. iF YOU WANT ANOTHER THEN U MUST SAVE UP FOR A GOOD `HMV101 or 102 .I prefer the 101 .They are probably the best portable acoustic machines ever made ..they were made from 1925 to 1960.101 being made until bout 1931. Columbia also made some good models in the late 20s .
Old 28th Jun 2010, 6:46 am   #14
JoshWard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
I take it out into the garden sometimes and play Elvis Presley 78s on it
At least you've got some vaguely decent 78s! I think the worse the music the more fun it is....

HMV 101 or 102....Might just have a quick look on eBay....

Josh.
Old 28th Jun 2010, 11:15 am   #15
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Nice job Josh, it looks brilliant a very worthwhile restoration.
Old 28th Jun 2010, 4:20 pm   #16
howard
Nonode

I was so inspired by this restoration that I got out my Decca today and gave it a good clean. It didn't need much, and it works well. Jailhouse Rock sounds amazing on it but how does one turn the volume down ?

Is there any need to unwind the clockwork motor when leaving these windup players unused for a while ?

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca_Nursery.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	37417  
Old 28th Jun 2010, 4:30 pm   #17
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
...but how does one turn the volume down ?
Stuff a sock in it. Or use softer tone needles. Or both.
Old 28th Jun 2010, 4:40 pm   #18
JoshWard
Octode

How cute is that Decca?

Why would you want to turn the volume down?!

After playing I put mine on fast until there's no juice left in the motor and then put the brake on.
Old 28th Jun 2010, 6:05 pm   #19
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I would advise letting it run down after use,especially if not to be used again for ages
Old 28th Jun 2010, 6:11 pm   #20
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Jailhouse Rock sounds amazing on it but how does one turn the volume down ? Howard
Strictly speaking, 1950s 78s should not be played on old acoustic machines as most are loudly cut and of "Hi Fi" quality and the pressings lack the fillers needed to resist the onslaught of steel needles, so they wear rapidly and sound terrible. For my wind up machines I reserve a pile of common worn and worthless records, the best or rareties get played on decent gear.
Some of the Elvis 78s fetch good prices from collectors:-

http://www.musicpriceguide.com/index...ice&ordad=DESC

I was offered a batch of Elvis and other Rock'n Roll rare discs once but they had been completely trashed on a windup by a bloke with only one needle.... .

Nice restoration Josh by the way, enjoy it ! .

Regards, Mick. (Whose house is being taken over by too many 78s! )
Closed Thread