UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2019, 8:25 pm   #1
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Identification of Sobell radio?

I'm considering bidding on a Sobell woodie/wood-effect radio in a local auction, it looks nice and original but the type sticker is partially missing. It's a Type 51??

From what little I've found I think it may be a later 516 but unsure, no other 51x I have found online looks similar. Photo is of the actual radio.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	180301  
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 4:28 am   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Identification of Sobell radio?

It's a Model No 599.
There is a little discussion about it here-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=963914
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 11:15 am   #3
ekjdm14
Banned

Ah, the damaged label definitely states 51xx so I imagine it's at least had the back panel replaced, not so nice & original/unmolested then & I gather it'll be AC/DC, still a nice looking set and looks plenty of room for dropper heat dissipation. Not a lot of info about on it but I may have a stab at it, will see what the bidding goes like, it's up this morning so will report back later what happens.

Thanks.

Last edited by ekjdm14; 22nd Mar 2019 at 11:24 am.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 1:49 pm   #4
ekjdm14
Banned

OK I have bought the Type 599 and also a Bush SAC35, so will post more photos and seek info when I collect them along with a good few later things including a Thorn EMI VCR for a fiver

Not a great deal of info easily found online so far though, guessing Sobell were not as well known/large in the first few years in business? (I'm guessing the set to be late '40s and I believe Sobell was registered as a company in '46).
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 2:03 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

Some info on Sobell Here

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sobell_Industries

The picture of the 519 looks a lot like your set.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 2:36 pm   #6
ekjdm14
Banned

Ah that would make sense yes, at least the back could tally with the actual set now Just having a brew then off to collect my spoils.

Thank you for the link, some good info on the company there.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 3:39 pm   #7
See_Mos
Hexode

Variation of the 516?
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 3:41 pm   #8
See_Mos
Hexode

duplicate
Old 24th Mar 2019, 1:55 pm   #9
ekjdm14
Banned

Right, small update now I've got over the shock of finding myself in need of a unicorn-fart valve for another set!

Back off this set (indeed it is a 519P, thanks for the link Mike) and it looks more promising to not be "got at". Full of fluffy dust over everything and no sign of tampering. Will shove the Bush Audiocentre 1500 off the workbench in rude fashion and get cleaning in a moment. Much more hopeful of a faster result with this set, and it looks just as lovely as the Bush but in it's own way.

Cheers,
Old 24th Mar 2019, 5:11 pm   #10
See_Mos
Hexode

I was beginning to think I got my model numbers mixed up so I just dug out my Dad's copy of Radio And Television Servicing to see if they are indeed variations of the same set.

It fell open at a well used page 554 covering the 519 so that is probably the model that I grew up with. The 516 is on page 564 and apart from a few minor changes they are both basically the same. Same valve lineup, layout and both feature band pass tuning on M.W.

According to the back covers both sets on the bookcase behind me are 516's
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:24 pm   #11
ekjdm14
Banned

I still haven't got round to taking photos of either of my latest purchases, which I really should. But the good news is, the Sobell is now officially back in the land of the living having received it's ceremonial replacement power cord and run on the RCD for a few minutes.

I had most of the caps in stock, although I had to make up one of the .1's for the moment & I will need to attend to the electro' cans as one is open on both sections although the other has reformed nicely. Obviously don't want to run the set more until that's attended to but it appears very sensitive and selective on all bands, particularly SW as it picked up a Romanian broadcast & this is just with a floating bit of old flex as an antenna. Give it a proper long wire and earth I'm sure it'll be quite a little performer.

It'd make sense that they were basically very similar, if they had something that worked this well I can imagine them being loathe to change too much. Next few days I'll get the electro' cans attended to & then look towards giving the cabinet a deep clean and polish up before bringing it upstairs and letting it run a while.

Edit- my guess of late '40s seems to have been correct, some of the old caps were dated 1949...

Last edited by ekjdm14; 24th Mar 2019 at 11:29 pm.
Closed Thread