UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:30 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Toshiba 107E6B 10 Inch Colour TV

I was lucky to find this set only a mile away from me, & was just what I was looking for. being an analogue colour set below 14 inches that wasn't a pocket portable.

The owner said it had been stored for a long time, but had made sure if powered up OK, even if he didn't have anything to test it with further.

After I got it home I connected my modulator & with a little fiddling found a bright & sharp picture.

It's a very mid 1980s design with a glare shield, black near cubic case & red details. No AV connections but it does have 10 preset buttons, tuned by a set of very 1980s tiny thumb wheels.

The only issues I found so far is one of the channel buttons (10/AV) has intermittent contact, which might have had a lot of use as a computer input channel. as the feel of the button is looser than the others.

Also there are various scratches on the case & glare shield, does anyone have any tips on polishing scratches out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2091.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	179977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2092.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	179978   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2093.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	179979  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:49 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Toshiba 107E6B 10 Inch Colour TV

Quote:
does anyone have any tips on polishing scratches out?
I reckon T- CUT would sort your scratches, I find it excellent for removing scratches in plastic, certainly transformed the lid of my record deck, looked like a skating rink beforehand!

Mark
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:55 pm   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

Wow had a pink one of those with a little heart on the end of the telescopic aerial. Never did find out what the distorted sound fault was but cracking picture
Old 16th Mar 2019, 12:29 am   #4
Richard_FM
Nonode

I originally saw a cream coloured one for sale, but it was in worse condition (both scratches & grime!) & too far away to be worth the effort to pick up.

At first I assumed the heart was something someone had added on, but they seem to be a standard fit, a little incongruous with the rest of the design.

The owner let me have a loop aerial that clips onto the telescopic one, I'm not sure if it was supplied with the set.

The sound on mine sounds fine, no crackles from the speaker & the volume control is turning smoothly.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 12:40 am   #5
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Quote:
does anyone have any tips on polishing scratches out?
I reckon T- CUT would sort your scratches, I find it excellent for removing scratches in plastic, certainly transformed the lid of my record deck, looked like a skating rink beforehand!

Mark
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to see well T-Cut works.

The glare shield doesn't look like it can be removed without opening the case, so I'll have to clean it in situ, but it doesn't look like there's any dust trapped behind, which was a problem with some models.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 4:43 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Great sets and incredibly reliable like all Toshiba chassis. E6 = 1986. I sold a few but they didn't import the remote control version, a great pity, it would have been a good seller. 107E6B = 10 screen size, 7 series, E manual [R would be remote] 6 1986, B British version.

This splendid pink version was presented to me some years back by Studio263.

They also produced them in black and cream.

Was it really 33 years ago......?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	107E6B.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	180007  
Old 17th Mar 2019, 12:37 am   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Great sets and incredibly reliable like all Toshiba chassis. E6 = 1986. I sold a few but they didn't import the remote control version, a great pity, it would have been a good seller. 107E6B = 10 screen size, 7 series, E manual [R would be remote] 6 1986, B British version.

This splendid pink version was presented to me some years back by Studio263.

They also produced them in black and cream.

Was it really 33 years ago......?
Remote controls weren't that common on smaller sets in the 1980s, even after single rotary tuning knobs were relegated to cheaper black & white sets.

I'd dated mine to the mid to late 1980s from the style, as black with primary colour detailing was very common then, think of the original Channel 4 logo or an Amstrad CPC 464.

Earlier than that would probably still have had 1970s holdover styling, & later would have been more likely to have some kind of AV connector & electronic tuning.

I'm surprised there wasn't a red version, as this as common colour for mid 1980s electronics aimed at a youth market, certainly Toshiba made some larger TVs with red cases.