UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2019, 11:52 pm   #21
murphy512
Pentode

Default Re: Bush DAC90A

Here is my cream DAC 90A with its baby. It actually works and has mw and fm although the sound is not great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7315.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	179832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7317.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	179833  
Old 30th Mar 2019, 11:21 am   #22
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Can someone point me to the post where a member kindly reproduced the green DAC90A calibration chart? The one that's stuck at the back of the dial, but always shrivels up and falls off.

I've tried using search and advanced search (DAC90A calibration), but I guess it's called something else.

Thanks.

PS: I think somewhere another member posted all the Bush TV22/25 chassis stickers (linearity, height, etc.). If anyone just happens to know where they are...? I thought I downloaded them at the time, but can't find those either now.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 12:46 pm   #23
AC/HL
Dekatron

Calibration: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...27&postcount=3
Old 30th Mar 2019, 1:14 pm   #24
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
That's the one. Thanks very much.

Ian
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:50 pm   #25
MurphyNut
Heptode

The Dac 90a is a lovely radio and I'll always have a soft spot for it as it was the first radio I ever fixed and gave me the confidence to tackle older and perhaps more complicated sets.
I have the cream and more common brown one, both working really well. I don't really need any more than that but I did recently upgrade the cabinet of my brown one with an almost "as new" one spotted on line. I'd much rather have two really good examples than say eight rough ones.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 4:16 pm   #26
Beardyman
Hexode

The DAC90A was my first radio restoration. They are probably the very embodiment of nostalgia for many people. A simple yet very appealing design, compact and unobtrusive. Mine sits on a small bookcase and is regularly used. Whenever ever we have visitors they always comment about it and are even more amazed that it is working! Great little sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	180757  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 4:52 pm   #27
Cobaltblue

I was playing with Radios for decades before I got my first DAC90A. The first set I had with a family connection to the DAC90A was the SUG3 that I pulled off a skip in Torquay in 1978 outside a funeral home.

I think that during the 60's and 70's most were still in daily use

I only got my first one because they started popping up at Car Boot sales in the 1980's at low prices although they got dearer as the 80's wore on. I was only really interested in pre-war, 1920,s and Battery portable sets at the time.

Aesthetically I prefer the early DAC90 with smooth knobs the late model DAC90A's with the fall apart knobs and fall apart valve holders I am not such a fan of.

Once you got a couple they seem to breed, I must have 20 or more if I include the various variants such as the EBS3A and the AC90, and I never went out of my way to acquire them except the EBS3A.

A great set everyone interested in old radios should have at least 1

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 8:40 am   #28
mark2collection
Hexode

Mike, you're absolutely right, one of my DAC90A's has over some 14 years turned into 9 slight variations of. I've yet to find an EBS3A, always fancied one, the social history of the various places on the dial being one good reason.

I also have an early black DAC90, cream dial, with smooth knobs, speaker 'cloth'. Date inside reads August 1947. The HT/Reservoir cap almost takes up the entire width of the underside/front of the chassis.

Fabulous sets, they fit in modern settings as easily as period, plus when you strip one, it doesn't take up most of the workshop!

Best regards,

Mark
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:19 am   #29
McMurdo
Dekatron

I restored my first DAC90A quite late in my radio hobby, only because I bought one in an auction that no-one was bidding on, and I felt sorry for it. I'd never seen inside one before!
It turned out to be one of the more 'challenging' ones to fix, simply by the number of faults I had to find before it would relay the cricket match.

First of all, 13A fuse gone in the plug (!) - the L-N filter cap was short. Must've gone with a pop as the area around the cap resembled the site of a spent firework.
The main smoothing cap had obviously vented too, white stuff all over it. And measured open. So that was re-stuffed.
Changed the grid coupling caps while I was at it.
Power on, no heaters, found 3 valveholders with several forked pins that were shattered. Had to replace the entire holders.
Then; no sound. No HT at the output valve anode; output transformer open. Replaced it with an RS (OEP) one which was a tight squeeze.
Finally a programme; but the loudspeaker was buzzing badly. The famous detached spider was to blame, fixed it with contact adhesive spread with a scalpel.
Attention to the case, which had lost all lustre, it appeared to have absorbed some damp as parts of it were slightly swollen. T-cut etc didnt work, so I did what we used to do with old AVOs, ie rub it with an oily rag, which has worked.

It's a good loud performer although it has to be rotated for best reception at home, which means it sits at an inconvenient angle. It's very evocative of the period, compact, simple, clean and attractive, so I can understand its appeal both then and now. I wonder how many moulds they wore out making the series.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:50 am   #30
John10b
Nonode

Very interesting thread, and I can see why they are so popular. How many different colours were made, it seems the Brown and Cream were the most popular ?
Cheers
John
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:50 am   #31
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I wonder how many moulds they wore out making the series.
I believe the total number made was around 240,000.

It shares the same basic shape with the AC90 (?) so I guess the cabinet moulding would be identical. Presumably there are no features on the moulding to help with drilling the holes for the knobs (and the trimmers for the DAC90), this being controlled by jigs, so no mould alterations were necessary. So, was it the same mould used for the whole production life? Would be interesting to know!

The knobs of course were altered. The first DAC90a knobs I like best. I really hate the stupid smooth tapered knobs of the DAC90, when I got mine I found that they really live down to their reputation!
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:19 am   #32
mark2collection
Hexode

Colour wise, I believe the earlier DAC90's came in black, then a bit later brown, then cream as an option.

The DAC90A was either brown or cream.

Interestingly though, brown came in all manner of shades, some of my sets are best described as chestnut, one example has an amazing 'marbling' effect through it and another has quite a bit of red, looking more like Cornish Serpentine.

Next to one of John Hendy's Serpentine (Lizard) Lighthouses, they set each other off nicely.

Mark
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:18 pm   #33
Cobaltblue

There were stories circulating in the 80's and 90's that Bush Employees retiring or hitting a certain number of years with the firm were given a Red BUSH DAC90A never saw any proof of this though. There were a couple of Red painted sets around so maybe the tales were to try and sell these

Certainly Mike doesn't seem to mention this although he does refer to painted cabinets. http://www.bushradio.co.uk/classics.html

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 1:01 pm   #34
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I think I remember hearing of green DAC90As too, but, as with red, there seems no concrete evidence that any were originally made.

Curious that electrogram's cream-painted 90A has a serial number (167381, from post 15 in this thread) from long before the end of production (which was somewhere around 230000): though it's possible that its chassis is a transplant. Otherwise, as Mark says, DAC90As came in "walnut" or unpainted cream, and the walnut effect does vary quite a bit over what must have been something like nine years in production. Unless my memory's playing tricks I've seen a sales brochure which includes both the 90A and the TR82B/C. So most of the cosmetic variants are just a matter of knobs and tuning scales. For each successive knob style (ribbed like the DAC90, then a thicker fluted knob, and the final version with perspex disc behind) the tuning scale changed too.

Paul
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:00 pm   #35
mark2collection
Hexode

Paul, the set I have with the marbling effect is a mid-series set. Small holes in the 'speaker grille, green/gold/black dial & chunky knobs. This set still has a sticker on the rear giving details of a bicycle shop, who also repaired and seemingly supplied, TV's and Radio's. The serial number escapes me, my fuzzy head is saying 'in the 170K's'. When home, I'll try to capture the marbling, if a decent photo comes from this, I shall upload, possibly the sticker too.

The other sets are earlier, having fluted knobs, red/yellow/black dial & larger holes in the 'speaker grille. The oddity for me, would be my only cream set, which has factory fitted aerial sockets, a yellow/black dial and a 'speaker made by (I'm told) Plessey. This was apparently an Erienne set.

I too seem to recall DAC90A's being made in red, white (cream?) & blue. Something is telling me these were in the foyer of Bush House on display, possibly The Queens Coronation(?)

Thinking about it, the tooling for the cabinet was busy, given the production run of DAC90A's alone, plus the export models, the battery models etc, I wonder if someone has a worn mould still knocking about. Doubtful, who'd of thought they'd still be prized processions in 2019.

I also have a set which appears to be wearing the on/off-volume-control knob, from a TV22. Luckily, the tuning knob isn't labelled 'Brightness'.

Mark

Last edited by mark2collection; 3rd Apr 2019 at 2:06 pm.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 3:40 am   #36
MurphyNut
Heptode

I wonder who actually designed the Dac 90, an unsung hero I think, the set is a little masterpiece!
We know a lot about Murphy radio with it's connection with R D Russell and Eden Minns with the cabinet designs. There seems less information on Bush and many of the other large volume radio manufactures.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 6:37 am   #37
mark2collection
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
I wonder who actually designed the Dac 90, an unsung hero I think, the set is a little masterpiece!
Wasn't it Frank E Middleditch?

Mark
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:21 am   #38
Cobaltblue

Red face Re: Bush DAC90A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
We know a lot about Murphy radio with it's connection with R D Russell and Eden Minns with the cabinet designs. There seems less information on Bush and many of the other large volume radio manufactures.
Follow the link I gave in #33 and you will know the who and the why

Cheers

Mike T
Old 4th Apr 2019, 11:03 am   #39
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

It's a shame, but I can't remember ever reading about who designed the insides of very much at all. Yet that requires more training, creativity, time and expertise than Minns, Ives (Apple), Rams (Braun). Certainly there are beautiful cabinets and some are even ergonomic too. The DAC90a is an ergonomic improvement on DAC90, apart from the aerial coil issue it makes most sense to have two knobs, one for volume and one for tuning so if needed (especially on SW or MW at night) volume and tuning is easily done by both hands. The slider is fine for graphic equalisers or mixers, daft for a volume control. Also Multifunction knobs like on modern sets or maybe the Philips Mono Control (not sure on it) are a mistake.

I've no DAC90a yet, nor a KB FB10 Toaster (just as iconic?). We had the FB10 for many years so I'd like one out of nostalgia. I was delighted to get a DAC10 in a local auction a few years ago which is reasonably ergonomic and similar to the DAC90a, but with advantage of a Bakelite back and presets. Perhaps not as fashionable so is often a 1/3rd of the price of a DAC90a or KB10.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was given a DAC90, missing back and a triangle of Bakelite missing on one side. Not sure what to do about the back. The car body polyester resin (like David's Isopon) seems to work well to repair Bakelite. I put heavy clear packing tape on the outside and fill from the rear to get a smooth finish. The Philips Colette has the Bakelite covered so I was able to blend in with green acrylic paint. Not sure the best way to colour for the DAC 90 missing piece.

I'll soak the asbestos in fast setting high strength sill and step repair cement. Expensive stuff, but fire proof and will totally stabilise it. Similarly Radium based paint shouldn't be removed from old military stuff. Retouch the lettering with UV glo nail varnish and clear varnish over the top and the radiation is no issue. It's the phosphor that wears out, not the Radium.

Maybe it's nostalgia for stuff I had in the 1960s but I like to see Octal valves. Mostly I collect battery valve stuff, so I'm not too upset about still not having a DAC90a and FB10 Toaster in my collection.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 12:08 pm   #40
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

There was someone reproducing backs on the forum, recently. A search may find the thread.

Agree that the DAC10 is a good set, the bakelite clamshell case is a big improvement on the DAC10 and DAC10A.

Battery valve collector - do you have a Roberts Junior in your collection?
Closed Thread