UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2019, 3:55 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Ferguson 384U "Finesse"

Hi. Just in the process of restoring a Ferguson 384U radio. For a late 1950's table model, it is one of the most distinctive looking radios that I have seen.
I have placed the chassis back in the cabinet, but noticed that the thumb wheel controls for volume and tone respectively seem to get stuck when trying to rotate them (they do not stick in operation when the chassis is out of the cabinet). Apparently they can be rotated when the metal frame that the controls are fixed on is pushed forward. There is no visible damage to the chassis that they are fixed on (not bent out of shape). Are there any fixing screws that I have missed out on (obviously I have got the two rear ones and fitting clips that secure the rear of the chassis to the cabinet. I know it sounds a strange thing to ask about, but I could not see any other screw fixtures further forward in the cabinet.
Mike
Old 4th Mar 2019, 5:03 pm   #2
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 384U "Finesse"

Hi mike, i don't know how much help this is going to be to you, as others may well have had more exspirence with this set. I've looked at a picture of the inside, but the picture i'm looking at isn't very clear.

It looks like there my be some of those awfull flat sping fastener's, in the top right and left hand corners of the set, could they be holding that back board in? I could be totaly wrong though, sorry it's not much help.

Paul.
Old 5th Mar 2019, 4:45 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Hi Paul.
Many thanks for your reply. When I first bought the set, I did not know that the bottom two metal spring clips that hold the dial glass to the frame were missing (the top two were intact), so I managed to find two. This slightly improved matters, but I discovered that the front escutcheon panel that the two rotary controls and the push buttons protrude through had been broken on the inside leaving jagged cabinet plastic. When the controls are rotated, some friction is experienced and like a grinding noise. Maybe this is what is causing the problem?
Cheers
Mike
Old 6th Mar 2019, 5:24 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi.
Yes, this was the solution to the problem, part of the cabinet was catching the thumb wheel controls causing friction. I will get the Dremmel tool to the offending part.
Mike
Old 6th Mar 2019, 6:06 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

I must admit I tend to think of these as being Fegusons more unusual offerings

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ferguson_627u627.html

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fergus...a_388a388.html

Cheers

Mike T
Old 8th Mar 2019, 3:30 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

Hi,
I also discovered that one of the tubular fitting pegs that are attached to the lower front escutcheon and project in to the front of the cabinet was a bit shorter than the other. The notorious spring clips fit over these on the inside of the cabinet.
I noticed a model shop in east Leeds called Leeds Model Shop that I remember sells ABS plastic spares, so I will try and see what they have as replacements for the peg in my radio. Also, I do have some suitable cement to attach the peg.
Mike
Old 8th Mar 2019, 7:18 pm   #7
Stylo N M
Heptode

That sounds good then Mike, at least you're getting somewere and have got an idea of how to move forward, i will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Paul.
Old 11th Mar 2019, 3:54 pm   #8
telstar
Octode

Hi Paul.
I went to Cross Gates model shop in Leeds 15 and bought some plastic rod to make up the replacement peg. The diameter was 6 millimetres, the required length was cut to 20 millimetres. I used the plastic adhesive made by Everweld, but the results were not as solid as I expected but it did hold in place. All I need to do is to re fix the metal spring clips in place over both pegs.
Incidentally, the model shop have their own website. They supply many useful adhesives and tools, mainly for model makers, but these can be useful for our hobby too!
Mike
Old 11th Mar 2019, 4:30 pm   #9
Stylo N M
Heptode

That's great then Mike, it sounds like your making steady progress.

Yes those model shops, can be a great place to find all sorts of things.

Paul.
Old 12th Mar 2019, 4:01 pm   #10
telstar
Octode

Hi Paul. Here is a photograph of the Ferguson 384U "Finesse" radio
There is still a bit of internal cabinet work to do under the two front rotary knobs.
Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 384U.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	179802  
Old 12th Mar 2019, 6:51 pm   #11
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi Mike, that looks great it's coming along well now well done.

It's great when things work out, keep it up it looks fine, brilliant work keep at it you've worked hard on that

Paul.
Closed Thread