UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2019, 6:44 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Cunk On Britain TV and Radio

This 5 part series is currently repeated on BBC2. Not to everyone's taste perhaps as she blithely ploughs on with her search for knowledge eg "Britain was at a fork in it's crossroads." Her interviewees displaying varying degrees of discomfort or bafflement in the face of naivety-some struggling to keep a straight face. It reminds me of the time when celebrities were duped into making short films to warn against the terribly dangerous new drug "cake" and didn't get the joke-especially Noel Edmunds

Editing aside, in episode 4/5 [shown on Monday 11th] author Marc Lawson makes a pretty good job of holding his nerve against Philomena's interpretation of Radio and TV history. Some technical footage but many more laughs. The more times you watch these the more subtleties emerge-like Hancock or Fawlty Towers I suppose.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Mar 2019 at 7:07 pm.
Old 14th Mar 2019, 8:00 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Cunk On Britain TV and Radio

Thanks for the heads up. I shall keep any eye out for this on iplayer. I rather like Diane Morgan’s character. I had no idea she had a series. She was originally a small section on Weekly Wipe with Charlie Brooker.
Old 14th Mar 2019, 9:29 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

That does sound a laugh! I read a piece by her in the paper but didn't realise it was a series.

The 'cake' film was from Brasseye, which I'm glad to say is available on DVD. I got mine from the BFI shop, along with 'The Day Today' which was also a Chris Morris/Rebecca Front/Steve Coogan/Armando Ianucci et al. production.

Also of course, Alan Partridge is back at the moment.

'Hi Jean...'
Old 14th Mar 2019, 9:37 pm   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I watched this series when first broadcast and thought it was hilarious!

Andy
Old 14th Mar 2019, 10:10 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Charlie Brooker is the co-writer Mr B! All the Episodes go straight to I Player [while it lasts-another story] for 30 days. There are still 8 days available to see Ep 1 and I'd strongly recommend viewing them all. Comedy is such an individual thing in a way. To me Bread/Father Ted and Mrs Browns Boys don't register. Didn't like the The Office but Extras is extraordinarily funny [and sad]. Steve Coogan is very good but the Alan Partridge character-no thanks! It's like the difference between Full Monty and Brassed Off!

Dave W

"They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian."
"Well they're not laughing now!!" [Bob Monkhouse]

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Mar 2019 at 10:30 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2019, 12:22 am   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

Excellent. Thanks for the pointers. That’s my Saturday afternoon sorted!
Old 15th Mar 2019, 12:49 am   #7
nickdoofah
Banned

This lady has always made me laugh and with Charlie Brooker writing, why wouldn't it be hilarious?? As already stated, you have to watch again sometimes a few times to get more of what's not obvious at first!! This woman is so funny
Old 19th Mar 2019, 5:23 pm   #8
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

The second day in which I've done the double bill of yesterday's Alan Partridge and a Cunk on Britain. I can't deal with any more cringing in one day!

Both screamingly funny - really getting to grips with the foibles of people and exposing our human absurdities and foolishness.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 8:41 pm   #9
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Whilst she's working to a script, are the interviewees just put on the spot? They must know it's a comedy, or maybe not and just flounder in some cases?
Brilliant, I just watched episode 1 again on iplayer.
Closed Thread