UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2019, 2:34 pm   #21
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Early Colour TV's. Were they produced in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
the 25" B&O 3000 was already established by that time, though not exactly widespread.
The Beovision 3000 first appeared in the UK in 1968. It was the first single standard 625 line TV set on the UK market but arrived a bit too early for this to be practical. Never the less, they sold quite a few as its combination of appearance and performance could not be equalled by anything else, and people knew that duplicated BBC1 and ITV services would soon be available on UHF / 625.

They were brought in by Debenhams, there was no company owned importer then. I think Debenhams were also the first to bring in the Sony KV-1320UB, so they had the two best colour sets on the market in their catalogue.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 2:49 pm   #22
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Early Colour Tvs were they produced in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
To bring things back on topic, did ITT import many German made sets during the colour boom to supplement their UK built models?
When I was working in the retail TV trade (1971-73), the shop I worked in sold just one "Schaub Lorenz" "Combi Color" West German made set, sourced from a local wholesaler. It looked like an ITT CVC5 chassis, apart from the presence of a big LOPT EHT overwind and a GY501 EHT rectifier. IIRC, the set was still designed for 220V mains and had been "tweaked" to operate on 6MHz intercarrier sound.

Schaub Lorenz was a brand of ITT's German operation, Standard Electric Lorenz.

AFAIK, the only German made ITT set officially imported into the UK in the 1970s, was the FT110 (a solid state 110 degree delta gun chassis). They issued a UK service manual for it.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 3:16 pm   #23
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

The compamy I was working for in 1971 bought in some Telefunken 709 series sets.
Several days later, a jiffy bag came in the post containing luminance delay lines to replace the ones in each of the sets, as it turned out that 'system I' had a different luminance delay time constant to the 'system B-G' (?) in use in Germany where the sets were made. There was a seperate auto-transformer supplied with each set to convert them from 220V to the British 240V mains. Tony
Old 13th Mar 2019, 3:26 pm   #24
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
There was a seperate auto-transformer supplied with each set to convert them from 220V to the British 240V mains. Tony
That was factory fitted inside the set (well, in all the 709 TFK sets I saw).
Old 13th Mar 2019, 4:15 pm   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The Combi-color was an odd beast. When you dug a bit deeper it did appear to be quite different from the CVC5, and not only in the line output section. I wondered how much influence the German parent of ITT had in the development of the CVC5 series as it was quite unlike anything ITT-KB had made before in the UK. Mind you, any form of PCB would have been radical to them!
I was always amazed at how little more a B&O 3000 series cost over (say) a single-standard GEC or Decca of the time. No offence to those designs, but you did get a lot more TV for your money.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 4:24 pm   #26
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I wondered how much influence the German parent of ITT had in the development of the CVC5 series, as it was quite unlike anything ITT-KB had made before in the UK. Mind you, any form of PCB would have been radical to them!
The same is true of the VC100's UHF/625 mono chassis replacement, the VC200.

I think the step change in ITT UK's TV chassis design was due to the passing of the UK's dual standard era, which allowed much more commonality of chassis design amongst the multinational consumer electronics companies.

In addition, the advantages of PCBs over hand wired chassis were so clear by then, that ITT-KB's 1960s slogan of "Hand Wired TV" was rather outdated.
Old 13th Mar 2019, 5:08 pm   #27
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
There was a seperate auto-transformer supplied with each set to convert them from 220V to the British 240V mains. Tony
That was factory fitted inside the set (well, in all the 709 TFK sets I saw).
You may well be right, Dazzlevision, they were hectic times where I was employed at that time, and many, many sets have passed under the bench lamp since then, and my memory isn't so good these days!
I do recall the cases of those transformers made excellent project boxes ;-) . I still have, and often use, a small L.V. bench power supply I knocked up in one when the set was scrapped. Tony.
Closed Thread