UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2017, 10:41 pm   #1
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default BBC Bournemouth. Low audio level?

Hi, when I was playing with one of my radios the other day I noticed that the BBC from Bournemouth (Solent I think) on 1359 kc/s seemed to have a very low modulation level. Has anyone else noticed this? It wasn't anything to do with my radio as all other stations are fine. Also the carrier was its usual strength ie about an S9 plus a bit.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 6:00 pm   #2
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Default Re: BBC Bournemouth. Low audio level?

Hi,
Just checked using a Roberts R200 tuned to the 1359kHz broadcast from Fern Barrow in Bournemouth, there is a noticeable drop in modulation level compared with other adjacent stations. Subjective volume level is about half that of Talk Sport even with the ferrite aerial optimally set.

Useful to know as this radio has undergone complete refurbishment and realignment, so can't blame the equipment

Rich
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 6:19 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Worth an email to the station manager, they like to know they have listeners. Seriously if it's a problem they will want to know.
Frank
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 7:22 pm   #4
hannahs radios
Hexode

I think I will try to phone or email them just to let them know. I'm not a listener as such, just tuned through while doing a bit of dusk DXing
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 10:32 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It's always possible that they use less compression than other stations, still if you do contact them it would be interesting to know their reply, either a fault or intended behaviour .

Frank
Old 25th Jan 2017, 12:27 pm   #6
colourking
Pentode

The same thing (low modulation) happened for a lengthy period last year with one of the two MW transmitters of BBC Radio Cornwall - 657kHz 'Bodmin'. The other transmitter - 630kHz (Redruth) remained OK
Old 25th Jan 2017, 8:10 pm   #7
hannahs radios
Hexode

I phoned the station. I happened to have a little listen and the presenter gave out a phone number so I called and told them about the low mod. A bit later I tuned across again and they were louder but slightly distorted then again half our later back to the low mod again.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 11:51 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

They're working on it then, probably the station turned up the gain in the studio and overdrove a stage. The problem being elsewhere in the transmit chain.
Frank
Old 28th Jan 2017, 8:30 pm   #9
hannahs radios
Hexode

I will check again soon to see if it's been sorted. All the other stations from Fern Barrow are sounding normal so obvisually a BBC problem.
Closed Thread