UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2017, 11:56 am   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Odd log periodic TV aerial.

Hi,
On a recent trip back to the UK I spotted this UHF log periodic aerial on the side of a house in the Grappenhall area of Warrington. It's pointing towards Winter Hill and appears to be the only aerial on that particular house (apart from the ubiquitous satellite dish), and looks fairly recent. The other aerials in the road are the usual yagis including the immediate neighbours.
I'm just curious if there was any particular reason as to why this type was chosen. (Ghosting, multipath, signal strength, or other problems?)
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd TV aerial (3).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	136283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd TV aerial (1).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	136284  

Last edited by Tractorfan; 22nd Jan 2017 at 12:00 pm. Reason: Nearly forgot to add photos.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 12:24 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Odd log periodic TV aerial.

As we all know, the usual reasons for installing a log periodic Yagi is to obtain a wide frequency bandwidth - and that implies that suitable equipment is available to use with it - which may well be the case here. So that suggests its user / owner is a VHF / UHF shortwave enthusiast: possibly a licensed radio Amateur who is using it to communicate via a repeater.
OTOH, it might be used only for T.V. reception: something that happened 'to be available' and would have been known to do that job.
But whatever its feeder is connected to, and for what the installation is being used for, the omission of a rotator substantially narrows the possible explanations.

Al.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 12:31 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Don't think it's an amateur-radio antenna; Looks like one of the little Labgear TV ones to me.

LABLPC or LPCT being the Labgear models I'm familiar with. They work quite well in medium-signal areas and are more-discreet than some of the massive 'bling-bling' Yagis (the Televes type with the 3 sets of directors...) which always stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 12:40 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Labgears web page for the LPCT.
http://www.labgear.co.uk/product-cat...dic-tv-aerial/

Frank
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 5:57 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Odd log periodic TV aerial.

Thank you, Frank. It's now quite clear just what that aerial is.

Al.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 8:52 pm   #6
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I have a bigger version of that here in my shed, it came off the shed at our old house, worked great in a fairly low down position (on an old metal broom handle!). I might fit it to my new shed, although I have an old loft aerial that I could use.

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4161.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	136316  
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 1:53 pm   #7
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I put a log-periodic TV antenna in the loft at my previous house. This was because we were close enough to Sandy Heath to get a strong signal, so not much gain required, and it needed a fairly wideband antenna to get all the channels. SH was one of those transmitters which spread outside its original analogue channel grouping quite early in the digital switchover process. Log-periodics make good loft antennas because they are not detuned much by nearby objects, unlike a Yagi.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 2:20 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That aerial in my last post used to point at Sandy heath too when we lived in Daventry, whilst the house aerial pointed at Waltham. I'm not sure what transmitter we are receiving here in Coningsby, might be Belmont? It's certainly a strong signal, don't even need a proper aerial, I actually got all the freeview channels on my Panasonic TV with a broken coat-hanger dangling out of the aerial socket!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 4:22 pm   #9
SteveCG
Nonode

Log Perodic aerials have 'good' sidelobe responses and good impedance match across their usually wide bandwidth. The main downside is the comparative low forward gain.

They are one of the few aerial designs whose gain can be known from its dimensions with anything approaching confidence. So if you wish to compare aerials then a Log P. makes a good reference.
Closed Thread