UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2018, 9:02 pm   #1
Jacmarczacc
Retired Dormant Member

Question Telephone 741. Pulse to tone conversion.

Hi everyone my name is Marc, thanks for letting me join.

I am looking for help converting my GPO 741 from pulse to tone. Ideally it would be great to find someone who does this, however I am willing to do it myself but need guidance if available.

Kindest regards Marc (Jacmarczacc).
Old 5th Mar 2018, 10:16 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone 741. Pulse to tone conversion.

The simplest way of doing this is to leave the 741 unchanged and connect a Dialgizmo between it and the telephone line. If you wish to have the 741 as a self-contained unit outputting MF tones, you will need to fit a Rotatone within it. The instructions for conversion are contained within the web site.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 11:23 am   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone 741. Pulse to tone conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
The simplest way of doing this is to leave the 741 unchanged and connect a Dialgizmo between it and the telephone line. If you wish to have the 741 as a self-contained unit outputting MF tones, you will need to fit a Rotatone within it. The instructions for conversion are contained within the web site.
I'd agree with Dave that the Dialgizmo is the easiest way of achieving 'tone dialling' from a pulse dialling telephone and your telephone is still 'original'. You'll also need a couple of small plug-in converters to convert from a BT type plug to an RJ11 one (assuming your 741 has been converted to a modern BT plug - otherwise you just need a lead with a US style RJ11 plug) plus another converter from a US RJ11 socket to a BT type plug - see likes of eBay item 272749257245 .

We use the Dialgizmo to plug into Analogue Terminal Adapters which don't accept 'pulse' dialling - such as a Linksys PAP2 - when connecting to CNet (Collectors Network) the replica of the GPO public network as it was in the early days of Subscriber Trunk Dialling. The ATAs have RJ11 type sockets so on of the converters not needed.
Ian
CNet 0352 2979
Closed Thread