UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2017, 2:37 pm   #1
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Default Triang Children's Record Player

Hello everyone! I recently signed up here to ask for help with this project. Anyway, without getting off topic, here I go.

I found this old record player in my grandfathers museum (He's a collector of pretty much anything and everything) and I found this broken, beaten up record player. It might be a lost cause because the damage looks pretty extensive (internally).

I couldn't find anything about this on the internet anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew what repairs are needed. I have attached some pictures which shows the board of some sort and the main mechanism.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9551.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	149372   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9552.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	149373   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9553.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	149374   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9554.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	149377   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9556.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	149381  

Old 14th Sep 2017, 9:53 pm   #2
roffe
Hexode

Default Re: Triang Childrens Record Player

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=16054
Old 15th Sep 2017, 10:10 am   #3
llama
Octode

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't fix it. Maybe it was dismantled as a start to restoration and then "life" got in the way.

What are your soldering and multimeter skills like?

Step-by-step, plenty of help available here. Welcome BTW!
Graham
Old 15th Sep 2017, 12:58 pm   #4
Station X

Default Re: Triang Children's Record Player

Picture 4 here shows where all the wires go, but I suspect it was dismantled because the amp was faulty.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=29

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:17 pm   #5
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
What are your soldering and multimeter skills like?
My soldering skills I'd consider "decent" I have an iron and solder. I don't actually have a Multimeter, but I know a place near me that I could borrow one from.

And thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Picture 4 here shows where all the wires go, but I suspect it was dismantled because the amp was faulty.
Alright, awesome. At least I know where the wires go now. I'm a still quite new at restoration of these kinds of things. Also, where is the amp? Know what it does, don't know where it is or looks like haha.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:47 pm   #6
Station X

"Amp" is short for "Amplifier".

In this case it's the Printed Circuit Board (PCB), the oblong bit in picture 2.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:53 pm   #7
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah I knew what amp means, and okay. Would you recommend I buy a new one (if I can) before restoring it? Is there some way to check if it's working? Or should I fix it before replacing it (if it needs replacement)
Old 15th Sep 2017, 2:54 pm   #8
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Those white plastic cased "Hunts" electrolytic capacitors are likely to be faulty after all these years. They can be replaced very cheaply with modern equivalents (which will be much smaller).
Old 15th Sep 2017, 5:52 pm   #9
Scimitar
Heptode

Treat yourself to a multimeter. Budget ones will be adequate until you find an excuse to upgrade!
Old 15th Sep 2017, 6:13 pm   #10
Techman
Dekatron

I would advise thoroughly reading through the thread that has been linked to in the first reply in this thread as you will see that there are possible problems with the biasing conditions with this original amplifier which may be down to bad design when originally manufactured.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 6:18 pm   #11
Peter88gate
Tetrode

And I would also check the condition of the stylus & cartridge since they seem to be very non-standard and made of unobtanium! That plus the amplifier makes it very unlikely to be worthwhile spending much time on it.

Peter
Old 15th Sep 2017, 6:20 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Don't forget to remove that potential solder splat/blob short on the component side before applying any power...

Lawrence.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 7:07 pm   #13
llama
Octode

You can check the amp is working with it outside the box. Personally, I would replace the electrolytics first (cost: a few pennies or less...) and apply power so you can measure the volts about the amp. Check the mid-point of the output pair of transistors. If everything seems in order you can connect a speaker and touching the input you should hear a buzz. At this stage I'd say you'll be very lucky to get that far but we can talk you through it. A multimeter good enough for this and many other jobs should cost well under a tenner. Even QD had them a while ago.

If this is a labour of love or interest or intrigue then obvs you can't count your time in the equation as to whether it's "worth" doing. Most of us here spend far longer on a repair or restoration than could be justified by resale value but we do it out of interest and an objection to the throwaway society.
Graham
Old 15th Sep 2017, 7:35 pm   #14
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Those white plastic cased "Hunts" electrolytic capacitors are likely to be faulty after all these years. They can be replaced very cheaply with modern equivalents (which will be much smaller).
Okay, well even if they are working I'll replace them then, do you have a link as to where I could buy some replacements for cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter88gate View Post
And I would also check the condition of the stylus & cartridge since they seem to be very non-standard and made of unobtanium! That plus the amplifier makes it very unlikely to be worthwhile spending much time on it.
Sorry about being a little low on knowledge about this, but what is the stylus and cartridge and how would I check the condition of them? And hey, I'm just doing this as a little project so I don't really care how much time I've spent on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Don't forget to remove that potential solder splat/blob short on the component side before applying any power...
I will indeed remove any random bits of solder before applying any power .

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Check the mid-point of the output pair of transistors. If everything seems in order you can connect a speaker and touching the input you should hear a buzz.
Not exactly sure what you mean by the mid-point on the output pair of transistors. How would I connect a speaker to it also?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 15th Sep 2017, 11:03 pm   #15
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobTheFox View Post
Sorry about being a little low on knowledge about this, but what is the stylus and cartridge and how would I check the condition of them? And hey, I'm just doing this as a little project so I don't really care how much time I've spent on it.
No need for apology, we all started somewhere!

The stylus is what you probably know as the "needle", and the cartridge is the bit that the "needle" is attached to. Over time, these cartridges absorb moisture and fail. As replacements are now hard to get, and extremely expensive, (£40-£50), it would indeed be wise to check that the one you have is working before progressing further. How you could test this without having another record player to try it in I don't know, but no doubt someone will come up with a way round it.

Barry
Old 16th Sep 2017, 12:06 am   #16
camtechman
Nonode

Not that it's going to help you with restoring this record player but just a bit of info that may interest you.

The amplifier you have is the same amplifier that Triang (Tri-Onic) used in all their "audio" products during that period.
It would seem that they designed it (or had designed for them) and so they stuck with it for the following products:

1) Tri-Onic Portable Intercom (*)
2) Tri-Onic Baby Monitor (*)
(*) Both products were identical except 1 of the 2 monitor's speakers was smaller.
3) Tri-Onic Portable Record Player

On the instructions they recommend a PP9 (or PP7) battery.

They proudly advertised: "Built In Britain by Rovex Scale Models Limited Westwood Margate"
Old 16th Sep 2017, 7:45 am   #17
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
The stylus is what you probably know as the "needle", and the cartridge is the bit that the "needle" is attached to. Over time, these cartridges absorb moisture and fail. As replacements are now hard to get, and extremely expensive, (£40-£50), it would indeed be wise to check that the one you have is working before progressing further. How you could test this without having another record player to try it in I don't know, but no doubt someone will come up with a way round it.
Oh okay, so the part that you pick up is the cartridge and the stylus is what plays the sound. I am currently away from home so I can't take an image of it now, but if my memory serves me right I think the stylus is quite corroded (it looked pretty blue in places, and rusted), Is there any way I could clean it (if I find out it doesn't work of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
The amplifier you have is the same amplifier that Triang (Tri-Onic) used in all their "audio" products during that period.
It would seem that they designed it (or had designed for them) and so they stuck with it for the following products:

1) Tri-Onic Portable Intercom (*)
2) Tri-Onic Baby Monitor (*)
(*) Both products were identical except 1 of the 2 monitor's speakers was smaller.
3) Tri-Onic Portable Record Player
Ah okay, thats cool. Well if the amp is dead, if I can't find one seperatley I guess I could just try and find one of those, cheap, working and get a spare amp. And thanks for the battery recommendation.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 11:05 am   #18
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The amplifier can almost certainly be repaired if it is faulty. The only component that would be difficult to get is that little driver transformer in the middle of the PCB, and that is unlikely to be defective.

The problem, of course, is finding out which component(s) are faulty, particularly if you don't have much experience. But I am sure people here can talk you through it.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 12:46 pm   #19
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter88gate View Post
I agree, I have one of these players and I could never find a replacement cartridge that would fit inside the very small headshell

David
Old 16th Sep 2017, 3:20 pm   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Given the very limited experience as indicated by the OP in these Posts and the overall dubious build quality of this children's unit, and not overlooking the issues and cost of a cartridge if neded, I am wondering about the worthwhileabilty of this task.....I guess my experience tells me that I can forsee what the OP maybe letting himself in for.
However, if it is nothing more than a learning tool in order to allow more advanced future projects, maybe I am wrong to question this?