UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2017, 11:56 pm   #1
Alf
Hexode

Default Sony ICF2001D BACK COVER SCREWS

I've recently been presented with an old Sony ICF2001D in a "got at" position, I'm hoping to nurture the set back into life, however, the back cover is missing several screws and the battery cover. From the enclosed diagram from the manual, can anyone identify what size screws they are, maybe a metric equivalent?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icf2001d scrrews.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	147478  
Old 7th Aug 2017, 12:30 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Sony ICF2001D BACK COVER SCREWS

The drawing has it printed on
6 off 3 millimetre diameter by 10 mm long
and one screw 3 mm diameter and 8mm long

Joe
Old 7th Aug 2017, 4:32 am   #3
BulgingCap
Pentode

The screws, from memory, are self-tappers. They are all the same length EXCEPT the one inside the battery compartment which is shorter. If a long one is inserted in there it will push a dimple out on the front escutcheon.
Push a wire down one of the holes to guesstimate the max screw length.

These radios are prone to deafness due to static damage of the first RF FET.
Replacement is easy if this is the case (the type number is 2SK152 from memory but other equivalents are more readily available). I have seen them soldered onto Vero pins as they seem to be a common problem.
There are plenty of threads on the net including a Yahoo forum.
I read somewhere that this model is a contender for the longest running production of a modern electronic consumer item!
Old 7th Aug 2017, 4:06 pm   #4
BulgingCap
Pentode

Sorry Joe, I missed your post. The screws are self-tappers not 3mm machine screws though.
Alf- The Yahoo forum has a code for a 3D printed battery door, if you know someone with a printer.
The wires from the ferrite rod to the PCB are usually ripped off the pads if anyone has 'been inside'. I have a pic somewhere of the colours and pads that they belong to.
BC
Old 7th Aug 2017, 10:15 pm   #5
Alf
Hexode

Joe, I wasn't sure if the Japanese used a different coding system for their screws, nuts and bolts etc., that's the reason I asked, I've ordered some, hopefully, they'll do the job.

Thanks BulgingCap, I know about the 2SK152 r.f. amp, I've had one of these radios before and have one ready. Interesting about the battery cover and 3D printing, I've downloaded the parameters for one, now need someone with a 3D printer. Can anyone help?
Old 9th Aug 2017, 3:17 pm   #6
Keith
Heptode

Great receivers, these. I've managed to avoid blowing the RF MOSFET so far, even with 100W AM in close proximity. This may be because I leave the attenuator in the "Local" position. Still plenty of sensitivity with an 80m doublet. Can't help with the screws but I recently managed to find a replacement speaker from an eBay seller who had a donor set so it may be worth a search.
Old 10th Aug 2017, 12:02 am   #7
Alf
Hexode

Ok Keith on the screws, that problem has now been overcome and a new set of them fitted. Next, the 2SK152 rf amp.
Closed Thread