UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2012, 6:13 pm   #41
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Ever Ready Torch

The wooden one may never even have had a glass in the first place. It looks old enough to have been contemporary with carbide lamps.

In later days, a requirement would arise for there to be enough trapped air to burn up the filament of the bulb if it broke, the thinking being to avoid igniting spilt petrol in event of an accident which counted against the first LED lights, as there was no filament and so they could not pass the type-approval test.
Old 19th Nov 2012, 1:07 am   #42
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I recall having a yellow dog torch as a child also, but my favorite was the bulls eye, similar to the one in the picture. I wonder what happened to them?
Old 19th Nov 2012, 12:18 pm   #43
Brigham
Octode

I used to have a scan of the Battery No.8 label seen in the second picture, but it seems to have been lost after various software crashes.

Now that supplies of this battery have become available, I wonder if anyone can direct me to a useable scan?
Old 19th Nov 2012, 1:40 pm   #44
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectronicman View Post
my favorite was the bulls eye, similar to the one in the picture. I wonder what happened to them?
They were replaced in the '60s by a plastic thing of similar size, still using the 1289 battery but with a conventional "slice taken across the diameter" reflector and clear lens.

Some history:

http://vads.ac.uk/diad/article.php?t...ticle=d.203.29

and a not very good picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bullseye_replacement.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	72972  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Nov 2012, 1:15 pm   #45
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I think we've said all there is to be said about the subject now so I'll kill it before the terminals become corroded.