UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2012, 10:57 pm   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Ever Ready Torch

The father of one of my school friends was a postie, and I remember his showing me his cycle lamp. The battery was an Ever-Ready 800 coloured red with a notice saying it was the property of the Post Office.

My Miller dynamo used to deliver plenty of output. I spent some time in Wales in my 20's and the rear light bulb used to regularly burn out going downhill at speed until I replaced it by a 6.3V 300mA bulb salvaged from a defunct radio.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 11:04 pm   #22
dom10161
Triode

I have this one of these lamps which is black, It is stamped G.P.O on the bottom, so Post Office issue I think. It has a long clip on the back instead of a bicycle bracket. I think this lamp must of been attached to clothing or a bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	71353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	71354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	71355  
Old 11th Oct 2012, 11:24 am   #23
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

What I remember of these lamps, back in the fifties when used on bicycles, is how rarely the battery needed replacing. So different in later years.

In the eighties we tested Duracell batteries against regular ones, and while they lasted longer as claimed, maybe 3 times, this was reflected in their price being tripled.

Thus one only 'saved' by reducing the change time.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 11th Oct 2012, 1:02 pm   #24
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well the 800 was the battery that gave you the most in lbs/£ of any common battery. Perhaps because so many were sold? The temptation for a battery manufacturer who also made the lights to tip that balance a bit, well........
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Oct 2012, 3:20 pm   #25
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by unabridged View Post
Very tempted to commit a sin of this industry/interest and aquire one of these. sort out the cosmetic side of it, then polish the reflector and modify the housing to accept an LED light fitting....
You can get LED retrofit bulbs that fit any common torch or cycle lamp.
They even do an AC one specificly for cycle dynamos (which are in fact alternators)
Old 13th Oct 2012, 8:04 pm   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom10161 View Post
I have this one of these lamps which is black, It is stamped G.P.O on the bottom, so Post Office issue I think. It has a long clip on the back instead of a bicycle bracket. I think this lamp must of been attached to clothing or a bag.
That looks nice and with that GPO stamp on it, forgive the pun, makes this lamp a bit special. I notice that like my lamp the reflector has lost some of its reflective coat. Wonder if there is anyway of restoring the reflective coating.
Old 13th Oct 2012, 10:19 pm   #27
kalee20
Dekatron

A good plating company will sort it out, as long as there isn't too much pitting.

You want it silver plated - chrome is nothing like as good, surprisingly.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 12:58 am   #28
JWatler
Retired Dormant Member

I haven't used this method myself, but this DIY approach to resurfacing the mirrors of astronomical telescopes (eg Newtonian reflectors) might be worth trying:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6870712_resu...e-mirrors.html
Old 16th Oct 2012, 1:39 pm   #29
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
What I remember of these lamps, back in the fifties when used on bicycles, is how rarely the battery needed replacing. So different in later years.

In the eighties we tested Duracell batteries against regular ones, and while they lasted longer as claimed, maybe 3 times, this was reflected in their price being tripled.

Thus one only 'saved' by reducing the change time.

Good Luck - Mike
The 800 type batteries contained AFAIR two cells each F size, these would have had a capacity of about one and a half times that of a D cell.
The run time as compared to D cells would have been increased by more than the increase in capacity because the larger cell is discharged at a lower rate, relative to its capacity.
Also "back in the days" the bulbs used in torches and cycle lamps were normally of a lower current rating than those used today.
250 or 300ma was more or less standard years ago, with 150 or 200ma lamps also available. 500ma torch bulbs existed but were not the norm.

These days 500ma seems to be about the minimum, with 700/850ma being common.
So the advances in battery technology have been largely swallowed up by smaller batteries and higher current bulbs.
Old 17th Oct 2012, 3:37 pm   #30
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

[QUOTE=broadgage;562692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
Also "back in the days" the bulbs used in torches and cycle lamps were normally of a lower current rating than those used today.
250 or 300ma was more or less standard years ago, with 150 or 200ma lamps also available. 500ma torch bulbs existed but were not the norm.

These days 500ma seems to be about the minimum, with 700/850ma being common.
So the advances in battery technology have been largely swallowed up by smaller batteries and higher current bulbs.
Very interesting I have just checked the current consumption on my torch fitted with a recently purchased 2.2v pre focus bulb and it's drawing 250ma from the two C cell batteries.
Old 18th Oct 2012, 12:34 pm   #31
broadgage
Nonode

That seems unusually low for a modern product, and not IME typical.
Old 18th Oct 2012, 4:27 pm   #32
jmedley
Rest in Peace

Yes, great bike lamp. I had similar on my Rudge "dropped handlebar" bike of 1949.

Guess what I have in the workshop, a torch that takes an Ever Ready No. 8 battery. Don't seem to be able to get the batteries anymore, any ideas?

Jim
Old 18th Oct 2012, 4:52 pm   #33
Brigham
Octode

Were F-size cells commercially available? If so, does anyone have a label?
Old 19th Oct 2012, 12:34 pm   #34
Herald1360
Dekatron

Back to buy a lantern battery, open it up and make up a couple of 800 lookalikes using best Blue Peter techniques. (Plus a bit of soldering)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Oct 2012, 12:58 pm   #35
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedley View Post
Yes, great bike lamp. I had similar on my Rudge "dropped handlebar" bike of 1949.

Guess what I have in the workshop, a torch that takes an Ever Ready No. 8 battery. Don't seem to be able to get the batteries anymore, any ideas?

Jim
Just received ten No.8 equivalents this morning. CAMELION is the brand;
www.camelion.com

Supplier is Conrad Electronic;
www.conrad-uk.com

AND! Yes, they are made up of two B-size cells, in a shrink-wrap tube with a plastic outer.

If anyone can supply a hi-res scan of a No.8 or a B-size label, I'd be grateful.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 2:04 pm   #36
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Were F-size cells commercially available? If so, does anyone have a label?
I dont think that disposable F cells were much sold "loose" but were used mainly for assembling batteries incuding types 800, 996, AD28, and others.

They were sold I believe during WW11 since two F cells could be used in a torch intended for three D cells if the bulb was replaced with a 2.5 volt one.
The reduced light but longer run time being preferable in some cases.

Rechargeable F cells are readily available from RS and others and are becoming more popular, they are used in some modern electricly assisted bicycles.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 12:16 am   #37
julie_m
Dekatron

I think we over-illuminate nowadays. As we manage to obtain more light from the same amount of electrical energy, so we keep the input the same and get more output. Instead of one 60 watt filament bulb in the middle, we might have four 15 watt compact fluorescents around the same room, each one emitting more light than the original bulb.

It's easy to forget just how little light one candle power is; and that was often all there was.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 11:14 am   #38
D.Finney
Pentode

Older versions of these lamps were usually black and were the standard bike lamp till about the late 70s, after that they started to go plastic.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 12:59 pm   #39
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

I took this old lamp back home during a recent visit to my home village. I walked out along parts of the coastal path including the walk that we use to do every night with the dogs. The old torch worked perfectly without a single flicker. Although not as bright as modern torches the warm white beam easily picking out details such as pot holes boulders mud patches brambles and undergrowth.
Old 17th Nov 2012, 10:20 pm   #40
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Nostagia! Here are a few Ever Ready torches. The yellow dog is well over 60 years old and I had it when I was a very small vile child. The bulb is in it's mouth and the tail is the switch. The '800' red rear bike lamp is not so common. The wooden one minus it's watch glass must be early 20th Century. I always liked selling customers the 1289 'flat' battery. They of course asked for a flat one and I would say I'll have a look in the bin for one.

Regards,
John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torches..jpg
Views:	178
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	72910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torches. (1).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	72911