UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2018, 5:29 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default What's it worth?

I may have several duplicated radio/television servicing books, anyone know what they are worth? I have a table at Warwick just wondered what to ask for them, also some nice radios to go may list some on here.

Mick.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 5:42 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: What's it worth?

Not a lot,possibly a £5 each in good order.

PS I have two different sets and I am seriously thinking about giving them away as I never pick them up very often.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 7:08 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

I agree, I don't use them often but there is a lot of stuff in them, I do use them now and again, Mick.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 7:23 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

That last one to make the set is always expensive; the duplicates you acquire for nothing can't be given away!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Apr 2018, 7:34 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Too true Chris.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 10:46 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got at least two major sets of these, bulky, heavy, dusty, hard to justify volumes but look in one and it's fascinating. Lots of unexpected extra info as Mick said. You see them for next to nothing or up to a fiver as suggested. I always thought £2 was a fair price for some reason given size and contents. It's such a lot of fun trying to sort out the complexities of the various editions as well See the erudite threads on this in the Forum.

It's the old story overall. As soon as we've finished dumping them they will probaly be seen as valuable historical items and in demand. Remember when nobody wanted Radiograms? Value wise they may end up like pianos or pianolas..worth nothing until you actually try to buy one!

Dave W
Old 26th Apr 2018, 11:07 pm   #7
1100 man
Octode

I find it amazing that people don't really seem to want these books I wouldn't be without them and refer to them regularly. In fact, I've got four volumes open at the moment! They are a unique resource especially for TV circuits which aren't readily available elsewhere.
About £3 to £5 seems to be the going rate which is what I've paid for most of the volumes in my TWO sets. Yes I wanted two sets, one for each location!
Cheers
Nick
Old 27th Apr 2018, 7:21 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I totally agree that these books are invaluable. I use mine mostly for radio circuits, but some good details of early test equipment and techniques are in the prefaces.

I have one of the many indexes that were produced, this is invaluable for quick reference.

One circuit I've not found, can anyone help? It is the Pye Opus 1 record player, from the early 70's and also known as the model 1223. A transistorised unit.

Ed
Closed Thread