UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 5:38 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Cambridge P40 Amplifier

I have a strange one on the bench this morning. It came in with one of the fuses blown. I replaced it and powered on only for both speakers to shoot out as there was power on the speaker line. I quickly powered down and disconnected the speakers.
Powered up again and metered the speaker sockets to get a couple of mV showing so I reconnected the speakers and it works fine. Power it down then on and you get heavy DC on the speakers again.

I don't really know where to look on this one, it doesn't have a protection relay so making it difficult to work on with speakers connected.

I can't find a manual online as the one for the P40 is not a split rail and looks completely different.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp 2.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	153889   Click image for larger version

Name:	amp 1.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	153890  
Old 12th Dec 2017, 6:12 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Cambridge P40 Amplifier

Power it up with around 100R load resistors with meters/LED+resistor across?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Dec 2017, 7:55 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

If it's both speakers, maybe one of the rails is failing intermittently.

That's a great example of the mostly empty box trick. Most of the manufacturing costs must be in empty PCB and unnecessary metalwork and paint.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 9:12 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The original P40 was introduced around 1970 and is completely different from what you have there.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 9:37 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Those red Roe capacitors are generally reckoned to be suspect I believe.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 9:49 pm   #6
nigelr2000
Heptode

I must admit I didn't like the look of those caps but they both tested fine out of circuit !

I might just change the rectifier diodes as I have had several of the same design become intermittent then give up recently so perhaps it's becoming common.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 12:36 pm   #7
nigelr2000
Heptode

Well sorted what it was. Changed the rectifiers, worked first time turn it on and off and it did the speaker pop out thing, changed the roe caps even though they read ok same problem but something new as well, it buzzed/crackled with no input. Pulled the main smoothers, just in case both read really well, once they were back in it started with a buzz for around a second speakers popped out then settled and worked. Connected a meter to the speaker connections and it read 18 volts dropping to a couple of millivolts, Turned it off and on again and nothing, no power checked feed yes got 230 volts, checked secondary, no volts, metered primary and got infinity aha so that's what it was the mains transformer was failing hence the buzzy crackly interference. Shame really but that makes it a write off as the customer wouldn't want to pay the price of a transformer. At least I found it in the end strange fault condition though.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 1:15 pm   #8
paulsherwin

You might be able to save it with a cheap generic transformer or one from a scrap amp. It might affect the maximum output but the amp would still be usable.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 3:17 pm   #9
nigelr2000
Heptode

I will see if I win it as it were paul but I feel the customer might take it away as he is pretty tight and he wouldn't want anyone making any money out of it, you know the sort, lol
Old 14th Dec 2017, 3:31 pm   #10
robin coleman
Hexode

I used to make these at Papworth the transformers were made locally I believe at St Ives windings
Regards
Robin
Closed Thread