UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2015, 2:43 pm   #1
Aaamusements
Pentode

Default Big old upright washing machine motor?

I received this motor from a bereavement clearance, it reminds me of the motor in a big upright top-loading washing machine that had a top mangle which I was given as a child to take apart!

The old gentlemen had used or was planning to use it to power a home-made lathe.

The pulley is a bit wonky (hopefully not a bent shaft) and the rubber bearers are squishing out...

I took a photo of the plate but it didn't really come out... no maker name anywhere on it as far as I could see.

There is a tidy but very inadequate looking bakelite round-pin plug on it, so I haven't plugged it in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	107841   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	107842   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	107843  
Old 5th May 2015, 5:27 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Big old upright washing machine motor?

Many years ago, my uncle had a home made circular saw bench driven by a very similar motor.
I reckon it will be rated around half a horsepower.

Mark
Old 5th May 2015, 6:10 pm   #3
Aaamusements
Pentode

I think it is, and about 1300 RPM? Next time I'm in there I will take a better photo of the plate.
Old 5th May 2015, 7:20 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

A very popular pattern of motor, that, used in all sorts of things and available in both AC and Shunt DC versions. Maybe a Crompton Parkinson?
Old 5th May 2015, 9:20 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Have a look in the terminal area and see if there are 2 sets of terminals.
If you cross link, or straight link between the 2 sets (it will be linked one way or the other) then you will reverse direction of rotation.
Not that this was a popular frames size (as McMurdo states) and it could have several styles of windings fitted.
One type used a centrifugal switch that cut out the starting winding when the motor was up to speed.
These often stick and cause the short time rated starting winding to smoke; not a major problem, strip motor (easy) and fix switch. Do not continue to run like this or you will have a damaged motor.

Ed
Old 20th May 2015, 10:12 pm   #6
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Wow I came across one of these motors just the other day. I was P.A.T testing in an old Methodists chapel and was shown into a room behind the organ that had the amps for the PA in. and there was a motor identical to the one shown setup to run the blower for the organ.

Jay
Old 21st May 2015, 8:34 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamusements View Post
I think it is, and about 1300 RPM? Next time I'm in there I will take a better photo of the plate.
A 4-pole induction motor will run at about 1450 RPM (50Hz * 60 secs per min) / (4 poles /2) = 1500, less slippage required to genetate current in rotor.

This is what most of these motors are like; grinders with induction motors are 2-pole and run at about 2850 RPM. They have spindles at both ends, though.
Old 20th Jun 2015, 6:29 pm   #8
mark_in_manc
Octode

I know the pic of the plate is a bit blurry, but perhaps it says 3 phase?

If you're lucky and it's 240v, the plate also seems to say 1/2 hp - which is at the big end for these - most of mine are 1/4hp. A potentially useful thing, and unlike the smaller ones man enough for 1/2" holes in steel if on a pillar drill, and (just about) for a small lathe or table saw.

I noted the comment above about sticky centrifugal start/run switches - I was lucky to obtain a really big 1hp single phase job for my table saw under these circumstances for a fiver, and was very pleased with myself when I worked out why it smoked so. Now it doesn't slow down for much...mind those thumbs...
Old 12th Sep 2015, 11:03 pm   #9
Aaamusements
Pentode

I'm pretty certain it's single phase because of the cable and plug, I think the plate is just blurry. The previous owner had used or intended to use it for a home made lathe.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 1:18 am   #10
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I have the same single phase motor in my shed with a grinding wheel on it.
I will have a look at it tomorrow.
About half the size on the one running my Myford.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 11:34 am   #11
Andrew B
Heptode

I have the same motor, this one is employed as a flat disc sander. Mine came from the Newark (UK) Autojumble for £5 with a home made table, it spins a 10" alloy disk that has P240 grit wet n dry glued to it. I use it for balsa, plywood and plastic parts for model aircraft. Colour of mine is a hammerite leaf green, looks to be the original colour.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 12:30 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got one in the north-plug in and play SP! It was on the premises when I moved in [ex Scrap Yard] complete with a Grinding Disc and a number of heavy duty v belts [I think that's what they are called?] so I suspect it may have linked up to a pulley system at one time. The garage down the street still has something like that in place throughout the building although it's not actually in use.
Dave W
Old 13th Sep 2015, 1:25 pm   #13
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Perhaps the reason for the wobbly or wonky pulley is because the motor shaft is short in length and I notice the pulley has three sheaves on it so that only the first sheave has any actual contact with the shaft. Regarding the resilient rubber mounts I took two to a motor accessory premises and asked them if any thing was fitted to a car and low and behold they were able to fix me up all for £1. I did have to grind off two little pieces of rubber to enable them to fit. When you wire it up it should have an earth link between the terminal block inside and the base plate. The rubbers isolate the earth connection. A good useful motor and with a bit of probing around inside to locate that illusive fourth connect missing on so many similar motor, can, as Ed say be made to run in reverse. Ted
Closed Thread