UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2013, 5:48 pm   #1
MapperleyTop
Retired Dormant Member

Default STC 96016 Selective Null Detector

It's a bit of a long shot but worth a try. Has anyone got a circuit for an STC 96016 Selective Null Detector?
The instrument dates back to the 60's and was used to find the balance point of a precision bridge for measuring R C and L back in the old analogue FDM transmission days.
It is solid state powered by internal batteries or an external DC supply, built into a really heavy steel case.
The frequency is tuneable from 15Hz to 150kHz in 8 ranges, log and linear amplifier with variable bandwidth.
The heart of the instrument is a large dual gang wire wound Colvern 10kΩ servo type potentiometer (no end stops) with a reduction drive. The pot is in a machined aluminium housing about 65mm diameter and I would imagine it would have cost a small fortune to manufacture as it looks really top quality.
A switched bank of 1% polystyrene capacitors is fitted on a separate board along with 4 multi turn pots and 6 small trimmer capacitors. There are 2 of each value capacitor so it could be a Wein Bridge type filter??
I am sure it would contain the necessary close tolerance components for a tuneable notch filter or a good low distortion oscillator.
The potentiometer alone is probably worth a lot more than the whole instrument would fetch on ebay so I looking at rewiring to perform a different function.
Closed Thread