UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2013, 11:00 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Taylor (aka Windsor) 65b service oscillator again

Dad's just waltzed through the door with one of these. Unlike my old AVO rf generator, this is much prettier and intuitively laid-out. So I'd like to get it going. Problem is, it's all butchered inside. The main oscillator valve has been changed for a 12AT7 (should be a 6J5!) and half the internal wiring and some components are missing.

I have the manual from 'jon's valve page' but, as already discussed on the forum, it has no component values. Can anyone help? (photo courtesy of REME).

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65B.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	85649  
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 12:24 am   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Taylor (aka Windsor) 65b service oscillator again

Taylor 65B and 65C signal generator. I have found the circuit with component values for the 65C. Also uses a 6J5, so may be very similar to the earlier model. wme_bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Taylor 65c_circuit-wm.pdf (297.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 1:01 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

If I recall, the 6J5 had characteristics similar to the ECC82 rather than ECC81 triodes. Maybe someone was trying to get it to go as high as the scale reaPutting it all back ought to be easy provided the modulation/oscillator transformer is still there.

David
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 9:29 am   #4
Freya
Octode

Hi Kevin,

I have what you need in the way of diagrams, PM me with your email address and i will send them along.
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 3:17 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

thanks bill, 65c looks very similar. Stephen PM sent

One of the major problems is that the locknut on the band selector has worked loose with the result that when the knob was twisted the whole tuning assembly rotated and ripped all the wires off the coils.

The original osc valve sat on a metal sub assembly, this has totally been replaced to accomodate the new miniature valve with its 1970's licorice-allsort polyester capacitors.

But I shan't be beaten and will annotate & share the unmarked taylor diagrams as and when its all working.