UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2018, 2:04 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default Does anyone still make Nuvistors?

I've just come across a range of hifi stuff which is claimed to use nuvistors. With 300W (per channel, I think it was) and a CD player, I suspected the little devices weren't doing everything.

Closer reading mentions Nuvistor buffer stages. The prose is frightfully seductive, the adjectives firm and reassuring.

I thought Nuvistors were rather hard to find, and sockets even more so. Strange to see them in new production equipment. 8.8 grand for the amp, so maybe they don't need to find so many...

David
Old 15th Apr 2018, 2:28 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Does anyone still make Nuvistors?

I seem to remember some articles around 10years ago where Musical Fidelity purchased a batch of NOS nuvistors and built a range of products using them as pre amps keeping enough back for future support needs.
Chris
Old 15th Apr 2018, 2:53 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

I read something along the same lines - a very niche product I would think.

I haven`t heard of any current Nuvistor production.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 3:26 pm   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Langrex are listing 250 7586s in stock and over 4,000 7587s. WiWi Tubes have 6CW4/6DS4s available, although they don't say how many.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 15th Apr 2018, 3:30 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I'm not aware of any current Nuvistor production. However, there seems to be no shortage of NOS items (RCA) selling at prices which are not too outrageous - more expensive than many semiconductors, less expensive than a Mullard ECC81 made at Blackburn on Shrove Tuesday. I bought a pack of 4 Nuvistor sockets online for ~£22 last year. There are quite a few Russian 'Nuvistors' around, many being wire-ended, which solves the socket problem.

How about some Acorn valves? They are typically selling a bit cheaper than Nuvistors. The sockets are very rare but you can solder direct to the pins. The 6.3V heaters light up almost as bright as Christmas trees, which has a certain appeal .

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 15th Apr 2018 at 3:38 pm.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 4:06 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I made a small fortune on selling nuvistors and sockets (and ceramic strips) recovered from some old Tek boards (which had been extracted from plugins) a couple of years back. Might have been me
Old 15th Apr 2018, 4:07 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

I recall the Musical Fidelity products (Nu-Vista?) that used these NOS devices. As good as Nuvistors may have been in their day, I can't help thinking that they would be rather noisier and more microphonic than even modest, mainstream transistors of the early 21st century. Surely a marketing flim-flam exercise using devices that can't even fall back on the visual appeal excuse resort of a pair of ECC83s (yellow print or otherwise....) poking through the case of an otherwise semiconductor-populated device.

Perhaps some stock-taking (puffed as "managed to track down") has reminded them that not so much Nu-Vista stuff sold after all, and it's time to get some return on latent Nuvistor stock with the hipster set.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 4:24 pm   #8
VT FUSE
Hexode

A search on the usual internet auction site will find many,well 40+ listings,for WIRE ENDED
Nuvistor triodes at really daft prices for space specified high reliability 6S51N-V.

This type were very close to the RCA ones used in early Mercury missions by NASA.

Perfect for audio-so it is claimed. They seem to have done quite well in the USSR space and ICBM role.
Psst... better not let the audio people in on this.

Last edited by VT FUSE; 15th Apr 2018 at 4:31 pm.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 4:52 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

There's only one 'Nuvistor' surely? And he is a regular poster on here.