UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2009, 9:27 am   #1
Robbie F
Retired Dormant Member

Default Anyone remember Pioneer SL-570 turntable?

Hi. After years of being stored and carried about from house to house, I've 're-discovered' my old hifi. A Pioneer PL-570 turntable with Pioneer SX-650 receiver/amplifier and a pair of IMF Super Compact 2 speakers.
Does anyone remember any of this kit, or still use some of it?
I've got it set up in my dining room and I have to say that - given the receiver's rated 35 watts - it still sounds absolutely amazing!
Problem is .... I've still got no room for it.
So what are your thoughts?
Is it worth saving? Or should I sell? I mean, I LOVE the sound but lack of space is a BIG problem. An 8-month old baby in the house also makes me wary.
The TT has a Goldring cartridge and stylus and if I were to keep it, should I upgrade that? Considering it's been stored for the better part of 20 years, should I buy a new belt for the TT or even invest in a service?
Thoughts and ideas are welcomed and thanks for reading.
Old 19th Oct 2009, 2:09 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Anyone remember Pioneer SL-570 turntable?

Hello Robbie,

I don't remember this particular model but do remember when Pioneer introduced this range of direct drive turntables. I'd be inclined to keep it if it's working, it's really well built and you won't find anything like it new, turntables tend to be belt driven manual designs nowadays. I found a video of one here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samTigbIC0A

A very nice piece of 1970s Japanese engineering ! Pioneer turntables require only basic maintenance which is described in the owners manual, but if you have lost it you can download one here ...

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-570.shtml

There is also an additional service manual there. It won't need a new belt, it doesn't have one. The stylus in the Stanton cartridge may be worn by now but you can still get those, they're not expensive. Do check the download force as well by rebalancing the arm, I think the Stanton 600 tracks well at around 2 grams and should sound fine, not really worth upgrading it.

The Pioneer SX-650 receiver should also work fine, I have two similar Pioneer models and both are faultless. And when it's all working, find somewhere where your toddler can't start playing with it in a couple of years time .....

Howard
Old 19th Oct 2009, 5:50 pm   #3
percival007
Heptode

Hi,

i agree with everything Howard has said, the Pioneer bits of kit are excellent pieces of Hi-Fi and well worth keeping, even if it's untill the toddler grows up!!

I don't know the speakers

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/.../super-compact

but they do look nice too.

James.
Old 20th Oct 2009, 11:43 am   #4
Robbie F
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your replies - oh for more space!
Does anyone still own any of this kit?
Closed Thread