UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2021, 4:57 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Sony TA1130 low volume?

Looks nasty, doesn't it? But I think it may be adhesive goop that's not aged well.

Note the same colour stuff is under two different makes of capacitor. Cpacitor contents are a mid/light grey mostly.

However, it's been found that the reddy-brown adhesive used by some Japanese manufacturers goes conductive with old age. They gobbed it all over the VCOs in the synthesisers of amateur radio transceivers and it rots away trimmer capacitors it got smeared over.

It might be worth taking those capacitors out to clean away the muck, and if so, there's not much point in putting the old capacitors back. I wouldn't set out on a re-capping fest, though.

On the last job, we had to glue down a dozen or so surface mount electrolytics with a 2-pack epoxy, but the unit had to be tested to survive the vibrations of an unbalanced helicopter! Later we found a part designed to resist vibration and requalified it without the glue.

Two legged components can flex in a sort of hinge mode, until metal fatigue sets in and the wire legs break.

David
Old 7th May 2021, 6:57 pm   #22
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I'm with David on this - only the bigger caps seem to have the gunge, so it's likely to be glue; it's probably wise to clean it off; this involves removal; in that case you might as well replace the caps you take out. I've found Panasonic FC and related series to be a good, reliable product.
Old 7th May 2021, 7:25 pm   #23
Mooly
Octode

It is glue. Whenever we replace caps we usually do not bother reapplying anything like that again but simply pull and peel the old stuff off. It is unsightly stuff but its doing no harm in areas like that.
Old 19th May 2021, 7:48 pm   #24
Radio Wrangler

THat too looks like degraded adhesive goop, used to stop the capacitors rocking and breaking off their leads.

Looks horrible. If you doubt the capacitors, the best thing to do is to check them with a little ESR meter (well worth adding to your tool box!)

If you want to clean up the mess, take out the capacitors, clean the board (scraper and solvent) and you might as well fit new parts rather than refit the old - that stuff doesn't come off easily.

Capacitor contents is silvery grey and can appear a bit pearlescent.

DAvid