UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2008, 6:53 pm   #41
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: R1155: Removing/replacing three gang tuning condenser

David,

Before this gets too far off topic, here is a suggestion. Try using a low voltage buzzer (i.e. electromagnetic type) and a battery to find the shorting vanes. In a darkened room you should be able to see sparking where the vanes are making contact.
Old 12th Feb 2008, 12:23 am   #42
restorer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155: Removing/replacing three gang tuning condenser

Hi,

I found your comments following a search for gang shorting problems. My problem is the RF section at the very low freq end. Discovered during calibration. I have proved that the moving plates do not short at the visable point with a paper feeler Gauge. It seems that the problem may be at the base of the fixed vanes. There is considerable flux filling the plates at the connection point which may have caused some corrosion growth. This can only be resolved by removing the complete unit for inspection.
Closed Thread