UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2018, 8:20 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 1950s Stereo Systems

Usually seen as more of a challenge!

Someone on here got a TV going that had been washed-up on the seashore.

David
Old 17th Aug 2018, 9:21 pm   #22
John10b
Nonode

Any thing is repairable, at a price! Didn’t cost customer anything as set was still under warranty.
Cheers
John
Old 17th Aug 2018, 10:06 pm   #23
trickie_dickie
Hexode

I had a small portable colour TV that had been sitting on a dustbin lid in the rain for two days. I asked the Vicar's wife if I could have it (I was Church Warden). She said I could take it. I left in my shed to dry out for a few days before inspecting the innards. The only thing I found was a blown fuse (not blackened). So I replaced the fuse, plugged in the Variac and wound it up slowly. Somewhere about 60% the TV fired up (not literally). I plugged in the aerial and, BINGO, full colour picture and sound. I told the Vicar's wife but she said to keep it. They'd got another. It served in our kitchen for many years before going dead. RIP.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 7:34 am   #24
Ekcoman
Heptode

My playmate next door when I was a nipper had a dad that worked for Decca so had one of the early Decca Stereograms that was just amazing. All I heard at home was glorious mono on a Defiant Record Player. He also could bring home any Decca pressed stereo record that he wanted if he asked his dad. Me jealous? Dead right I was.