UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2022, 5:41 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default New long wire AM aerial and switching box

I already have a long wire AM aerial feeding into my house for domestic radio use. Just recently, fed up with inadequate AM performance in my workshop I erected another long wire (it's a big garden) to feed that building. Usual techniques, a long length of insulated wire attached using egg insulators to two tall, strong trees and then down and into my workshop. Once inside the wire has the dual function of feeding a 'permanent' Tandberg stereo receiver setup that I listen to, and also any set that's 'on the bench'. I could have just fed the wire to both, but obviously that's not best practise as it's loading the aerial twice. So I just made a simple switching box using an old RS diecast box that I bought decades ago, as the housing. Ha, so many times in the past I've looked at that box and thought, "I'm never going to use that". Obviously, just a double throw switch inside. It all works fine and I can get Radio Caroline, not brilliantly, but I can receive it (I'm in Rugeley, Staffs). I haven't yet tested the aerial on a known, 'good quality' AM set so who knows, Caroline may even get better, up to listenable quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220805_164520.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	262258  
Old 5th Aug 2022, 6:52 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: New long wire AM aerial and switching box

You might be able to improve it even more by placing a 100pF variable cap in series with the aerial and tune for maximum. It may also be worth trying an ATU (Aerial Tuning Unit) which is a bit more complex using a coil tuned by a variable cap. Various designs can be found via Google
Old 5th Aug 2022, 8:03 pm   #3
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: New long wire AM aerial and switching box

Build a pi tank ATU and you will be able to peak it to hear almost anything. I would add an RF choke across the antenna terminals to discharge any static, a 2.5 mH or similar to protect you and your receivers, and disconnect the antenna and connect it to earth when storms approach. Best you have a decent earth stake nearby.

Last edited by Cruisin Marine; 5th Aug 2022 at 8:10 pm.
Closed Thread