UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2007, 11:42 am   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Orkney Wireless Museum

If you are visiting in the Orkney area, you might like to visit this impressive-looking museum. The website is limited but does give a flavour of the content of the museum.

http://www.owm.org.uk/
Old 27th Feb 2007, 1:53 pm   #2
yesnaby
Octode

Default Re: Orkney Wireless Museum

Hello,

I went there a few years ago. Pretty good, I expect they have more stuff now. The nice gentleman in charge seemed really pleased that someone had actually heard of valves!

Michael
Old 4th Mar 2007, 11:23 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I visited a couple of years back. It's a super collection There is an operational amateur radio station there too, but they don't allow visiting hams to operate it unless the resident licencee is present. The aerial is shared with some crystal sets! I hope to visit again next time we're in the area.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 5th Mar 2007, 10:24 pm   #4
knobsrmisn
Retired Dormant Member

We were there in 02, my son and his wife took us to Scotland for our 50th and suprised me when he pulled up to this museum in Kirkwall,we enjoyed it and the rest of Scotland,especially the lack of traffic.
Old 14th Jul 2007, 9:32 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

This blog:

Quote:
Head of BBC Radio Scotland, Jeff Zycinski, with a sneak preview of programme plans and a behind-the-scenes glimpse of his life at the helm.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radios.../2007/05.shtml

has an item about the Orkney Wireless museum. It's a big page so you'll need to search for it. It's the entry for 21st May 2007. There's a nice Youtube video too.
Old 15th Jul 2007, 10:17 am   #6
johnlees
Hexode

Smile Re: Orkney Wireless Museum

I was there in early June this year. I was made very welcome and the gentleman actually apologised to me for having to charge an entrance fee. I told him I thought the £2 was a bargain.
A fascinating place and well worth a visit if you're up in those parts.