UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2018, 7:10 pm   #1
landsendsolo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TC-377 No motor running and Function won't Latch

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the group and would like some help with a Sony TC-377 I obtained.

Basically it powers up but there are no functions, the function knob won't latch and no motor appears to be working to make the tapes go round. The motor doesn't run and from what I've gathered from a google search is that the motor should run all the time after switch on. Maybe I'm wrong!

Any other help on what I should change and oil/ grease to get it up to good working order would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Les
Old 17th Apr 2018, 1:43 am   #2
dmaillard
Tetrode

Default Re: Sony TC-377 No motor running and Function won't Latch

Hi,
The TC-377 motor only runs when the automatic shutoff lever is in the up position. When threading the tape, ensure the tape goes under the lever so it gets pulled it up when the tape is under tension, and thus activating a micro switch which turns on the motor.
The function knob won't latch because the small aluminium cams under the head block which enable the auto stop function have become sticky and no longer move freely. These Sony machine require a bit of work to get going properly. Lubrication that was used in these machines always goes hard & sticky causing mechanical operational issues. I usually strip down the mechanism, clean all components & relubricate with synthetic greases & oil, this includes the mechanism under this head block. Belts will also need replacing, as well as the idler wheels cleaned & deglazed. The main idler wheel that drives the flywheel often goes hard & may need replacing or re-rubbered. The motor has oiling holes on both sides, you may need to remove the motor pulley to properly see the top oiling hole. Motor run capacitors in these decks may sometimes require replacing as they will eventually fail.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 12:31 pm   #3
landsendsolo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sony TC-377 No motor running and Function won't Latch

Thank you so much for your advice, I used to repair old mechanical VCR's back in he day so hopefully I'll manage this job with care.

Thanks
Closed Thread