UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2016, 6:54 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default 'oldradios.co.nz' website - defunct?

There was a splendid New Zealand vintage radio website 'oldradios.co.nz which was brim full with all sorts of useful information, from which I downloaded info on the 'Hikers One' and 'Hikers Two' 1930s designs, which use 1Q5GT valves (1.4V 0.1A heaters) with a low HT voltage. (18V). The 'Hikers One' first appeared in the N.Z 'Lamphouse Annual' in 1937, based on a design from Popular Mechanics in Sept 1936 of the 'Oscillodyne' circuit.

The link to the website is now dead, in that it now only brings up meaningless headers, which are just spam. I wondered if anyone (maybe a forum member in N.Z if we have one?) knows if the mine of information that used to be on the site has migrated elsewhere, or has been lost to the world. Shame if it has. I've attached a page that I downloaded in April 2008 from: http://www.oldradios.co.nz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldradios nz website.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	128191  
Old 3rd Aug 2016, 7:02 pm   #2
G3VFB_Anton
Hexode

Default Re: 'oldradios.co.nz' website - defunct?

Hi David - a bit of a search (which you have already done) provided these two links that may be of some use.
http://archive.is/www.oldradios.co.nz
http://httpurlm.com/site/oldradios.c...crafters+radio

Golf Three Very Fine Business
Member of RSARS and PARC
Old 4th Aug 2016, 9:08 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

web.archive.org also has some snapshots of the site over the years. January 2012 seems to be the most recent with the actual website, since then it has been domain parking services - so it's been dead for a long time.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/oldradios.co.nz

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Aug 2016, 9:40 am   #4
G3VFB_Anton
Hexode

Wow - great website. Now I can see some of the early websites I had a shot at designing. All HTML! So much easier these days

Golf Three Very Fine Business
Member of RSARS and PARC
Old 4th Aug 2016, 2:34 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for reading the thread and for your comments, Anton & Paul.

Oh well, such a shame that such a comprehensive and interesting resource has fallen by the wayside. Yet another reminder that we often don't know what we have till it's gone. Too often, useful links that I've saved end up being dead when next I try to access the sites. I do hope that the fantastic 'American History' magazine archive is in safe hands given that it includes a comprehensive library of UK magazines such as Radio Constructor, PW, SWM etc, as well as scores of others.

Rather a shame when sites on which countless hours of effort, time and skill - often by one person over many years - has gone into compiling the info, but is then lost forever.
Old 5th Aug 2016, 1:58 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

You can always build your own (private) mirror instead of only bookmarking it. If the site was constructed properly, it will be as simple as using wget.
Old 5th Aug 2016, 3:20 pm   #7
VT FUSE
Hexode

This will hopefully give an answer and solution,credit to Mike Peebles.
http://www.peeblesoriginals.com/proj...kers-radio.php

Last edited by AC/HL; 5th Aug 2016 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Link corrected
Old 5th Aug 2016, 7:34 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for that link - very helpful stuff on the Hiker's One and Two - as are the other links on the 'Peebles Originals' site to the likes of Dave Schmarder's splendid home-brew radios.

I hope others on the forum find the sites and 'Hiker' designs of interest.

From what I can gather, the oldradios.co.nz site was run by Greg Cooney, Upper Hutt, Wellington, N.Z, who was said to be a member of the NZVRS, so I've e-mailed the local committee member of the NZVRS located in Wellington to ask if he can possibly solve the mystery of why the site has disappeared, and whether any of the other archived material was saved and can be accessed elsewhere.

If I get a response, I'll update the thread.
Old 5th Aug 2016, 8:00 pm   #9
VT FUSE
Hexode

I remember well the oldradios.co.nz site,they had loads of boat anchor type Radio info and were a great resource.

Seem to recall the site disappearing around 4 years or so back and references to this at the time on the Radio Board forum which was when Mike Peebles saved the NZ Hikers info.
It may be worth searching TRB for reasons why the website vanished?
Old 6th Aug 2016, 7:03 am   #10
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

The author of oldradios.co.nz, Greg Cooney, had a massive stroke in 2011. He survived but with serious difficulties. He can barely speak or move and requires care 24/7. He is a fighter though and with the help of his wife has told his story here: http://www.imstroked.com/home.html
Old 6th Aug 2016, 8:35 am   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thank you for that update Bruce. I'd speculated that he might have been elderly and just passed on, but what a shock to learn that he was just 48 at the time.

A husband and a father, cut down by a severe stroke. Very sad news indeed.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 9:34 am   #12
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
The link to the website is now dead, in that it now only brings up meaningless headers, which are just spam. I wondered if anyone (maybe a forum member in N.Z if we have one?) knows if the mine of information that used to be on the site has migrated elsewhere, or has been lost to the world. Shame if it has.
Yep you do have at least 2 forum members in NZ (including me) but I cannot find any info on this old website. There is however the New Zealand Vintage Radio society who have a website www.nzvrs.pl.net according to their bulletin. I'm not a member so cannot advise how good it is but their bulletins are great fun and a good read.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 2:16 pm   #13
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for reading the thread and for your comments. As I said in post #8 above, I e-mailed the NZVRS Committee member listed as the contact in Wellington on 5 August, but haven't received a response up to now, so doubt that I will. I think that apart from the small amount of info that was retrieved from 'oldradios' before its demise, regretfully, the superb content of that wonderful website has been lost forever. Very sad to here about Greg Cooney's awful health setback, especially at such a young age.

Interesting to note that in the bulletin of NZVRS there are many articles by Peter Lankshear, who is quite well known and much respected in vintage radio circles here in the UK.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 7:52 am   #14
arjoll
Dekatron

I've only just spotted this thread - the Domain Name Commission shows oldradios.co.nz as registered by "MMM Enterprises" of Wellington. Registration date was 9/5/12, so it was picked up when it expired.
Closed Thread