UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 13th Apr 2018, 8:25 am   #21
stuarth
Pentode

Default Re: What to replace a RIFA X2 with?

I think they add a bit of aluminium “brightness” to offset the dulling you get from suffocating copper in the oxygen free cables.

Stuart
stuarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2018, 9:12 am   #22
WaveyDipole
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Anyhoo, this is off topic. I wonder why the kit put togetherer's used them in the first place, it's not as if they're that much cheaper than an equivalent with a better rep.
Yes, I did wonder that and was tempted to drop him a polite note. The kit came as a 'freebie' when I purchased an expansion ROM/RAM board from a Retro computing enthusiast niche supplier. All it consists of is 4 caps (2 RIFAs, 2 Alu electrolytics), 3 short pieces of heat shrink tubing, a mains cable exit gland and a number of cable ties. Apparently the kit is cheap enough compared to the cost of postage that the seller has offered to throw one in as a freebie on request. The kit does serve its purpose and the extra bits are perhaps thoughtful as one naturally might want to consider replacing the aging mains cable while working on the PSU. Since he had done me a favour (in addition to providing the freebie kit), I didn't want to sound ungrateful or complaining, so I have left it at that. However, being aware of previous discussions on this board, I felt it reasonable to take the precaution of asking for advice before fitting these types of RIFA caps.

I note a couple of reassuring comments about the Suntan, so thanks for that. This is not for a paid for repair - the computer is my own, but I will probably still use a Panasonic in this PSU as I already have one to hand, but keep the Suntan for another less critical use.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 13th Apr 2018 at 9:20 am.
WaveyDipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2018, 1:46 pm   #23
astral highway
Nonode

Quote:
You have a point Al, I was a bit surprised at the strength of feeling behind your point though and the fact you havn't mentioned it before on the "Smoking Rifa's" thread. I was just giving you a bit of friendly gyp BTW, so no hard feelings : )
Hey Andy, cheers! I didn't take it personally, and I don't mind what people choose to do.

I was just trying to point out that a product doesn't define a whole company - not for me, anyway. I think I sounded firm on my line as when I see beginners on threads adopting the assumption that all types of cap from mfr x are bad, I feel that's misleading. I was kind of trained to make a point forcefully for a living, so sometimes I forget to tone it down when it's not so critical.

Anyways, we all get on wonderfully here and perhaps it's time to move on from this focus.

How are you doing? Drop me a PM if you like, I'd like to find out how your latest mega amp is going.
Old 14th Apr 2018, 7:18 pm   #24
Maarten
Octode

@Al: I think your point is valid as well. For example I still buy Wima, the treshold for my above rationalisation is somewhere in between Wima and Rifa and I can fully see why it lies elsewhere for other people.

In general about Suntan: That brand has been around for some time, lots of Hong Kong transistor radios used them.

Quote:
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/evox-rifa-capacitors.html[/url] , maybe they were included for their tonal qualities? Might be an idea to hold on to your old RIFA's, might be worth a bob or two in a few years.

Lastly on the main product page - https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...a-pme271m.html it says this - " Evox Rifa are the last remaining manufacture of metallized paper capacitors." This may be indicative.

A.
I've always thought they looked pretty on a circuit board, for example in Swedish Philips TV sets. I'm a visual kind of guy, maybe they sound good for the more auditive minded I've got a bag of cracked new old stock ones, I'll hang onto them.

I'm not sure where the claim about being the last manufacturer comes from. Wima still makes them, I verified on their website. Maybe I'll shoot them a mail asking why I would choose one of those in stead of the MKP type they market alongside. I expect a more honest answer from them than from "Rifa".

Last edited by Maarten; 14th Apr 2018 at 7:26 pm.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2018, 8:16 pm   #25
astral highway
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
@Al: I think your point is valid as well.
Thank you ,Maarten!