UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2019, 7:46 am   #1
merlin45
Retired Dormant Member

Default Record cleaning fluids?

Good morning every one.
Could any one suggest a recommended fluid to buy ( as there are lots to choose from ) or self alchemy, vinyl record cleaner? I've several LP's with finger marks and general dust which came free with recent purchases from teabag.

Thanks Ron.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:19 am   #2
Radio1950
Hexode

Default Re: Cleaning fluids?

My instinct tells me that warm to hot water and quality dish detergent would be very hard to beat, and it is priced very attractively, even to impecuniously disadvantaged persons like myself.
Very good luck to you.
Did Dire Straits ever appear on vinyl?
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:30 am   #3
Ekcoman
Heptode

Agree 100% with Radio1950 and to dry I wipe lightly with a white paper towel.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:43 am   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I have used this stuff with the Moth record cleaning machine, although you don't need an RCM to use it.

http://www.britishaudiostore.com/mot...fluid-1-litre/

They do a 5 litre size too.

But there is a whole lot of stuff here too (and Analogue Seduction are a great resource) https://www.analogueseduction.net/se...cord+cleaning/

But basically most cleaning fluids are a mix of distilled water, some isopropyl alcohol (some omit that) and a surfactant. This use to be photographic wetting agent that was used in printing photographs in a dark room.

As others have said, a few drops of washing up liquid also works. But I'd use distilled or deionised water, because you don't want soap scum clogging up your grooves.

Good luck

Craig
Old 18th Jun 2019, 10:17 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I thought I remembered something. https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/cleaning-discs . Although that is for lacquer discs, it points the way to Tergitol surfactant.

Then I found that there are two types that need to be combined. And concentrations are mentioned http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/FOX-MUSI...intenance.html

Good luck

Craig
Old 18th Jun 2019, 10:31 am   #6
snowman_al
Octode

Kitchen 'foaming cleaner with bleach' supermarket own brand. A soft nail brush and micro-fibre cloths. Lots of soft water.

I've just cleaned 60+ records for a friend. None of the normal potions worked, record cleaning fluid, warm soapy water, isopropyl alcohol and so on.

Spray a tiny amount onto the record, swirl it round with the nail brush gently, turn it over and repeat. Now thoroughly wash it off under the tap. Leave to dry vertically in air. Repeat if not fully clean. Once you are happy, use a micro-fibre cloth to polish up and pop into clean anti-static sleeves.
Try not to wet the labels too much, some are inert, but some 'bleed' back onto the record.
This is an example, some were worse and all came good...

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	185281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	185282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	185283  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 11:09 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

To answer 'Radio 1950's question in post #2, Dire Straits did indeed make vinyl albums-I have one, which includes 'Money for Nothing', Walk of Life', etc. Regarding cleaning, I agree with Radio 1950 and Alan (Snowman Al), and have often used dilute warm Washing-up Liquid for this purpose. I also have a Cecil Watts 'Parostatic' Disc Preener, which is a cylinder covered in a soft material inside which is a 'wick' which is moistened with ordinary tap water each time it's used. This device is by now well over 50 years old, and probably long out of production, as is also the 'Emitex' anti-static cleaning cloth once marketed by EMI.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 11:38 am   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

Personally I would avoid washing up liquid or household cleaning products, as well as tap water.

I have personally found this chap's products to be very good and his knowledge to be excellent. You can buy surfactant from him if you wish to make your own fluid. I have no connection with the business apart from being a satisfied customer.

http://highqual.co.uk/

Details on the fluids are here: http://highqual.co.uk/hq-cleaner/4538847244
Old 18th Jun 2019, 12:52 pm   #9
tracypaper
Octode

I use Record Restorer with tepid water, Used it for more than ten years now, a bit labour intensive but amazing results and also tackles static at the same time, as advertised by them, "you can hear the difference". Check Rare Record Price Guides for contact details.
Gaz.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 1:04 pm   #10
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Well that is a good link! I thought I knew just about all outfits in record cleaning, but that is a new (to me) and very useful company.

Craug
Old 18th Jun 2019, 4:13 pm   #11
merlin45
Retired Dormant Member

All very interesting, I'll experiment and report the results.

Thanks gents.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 9:52 pm   #12
Radio1950
Hexode

Merlin,
If you would like to add an antistatic agent to your Fairy Detergent and warm water, add a little laundry fabric conditioner to the wash mix.
And you can always make up a hand squeeze spray of conditioner and water to use after your washing.
Use the finest spray "cloud" possible, and wipe dry.

Thanks Livewire.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 9:00 am   #13
rontech
Heptode

My experience with trying to clean vinyl records is; do the absolute minimum.

It is too easy to progressively make things worse re clicks & plops.

I would try a brief test play of a couple of tracks to assess the sound, If acceptable then a light dusting with a soft paper tissue ( NOT kitchen roll! ).

Otherwise the previous answers would be worth a try
Old 19th Jun 2019, 10:15 am   #14
DonaldStott
Octode

I am in the "fortunate" position of having a Project VCS Record Cleaning Machine.

I use this along with L'Art Du Son Vinyl Record Cleaning Fluid although there are lots of other makes available. A final rinse with distilled water cleans off any residue.

Using the above I have resurrected many charity shop purchases that initially sounded like lost causes although there are others where groove damage has rendered the vinyl beyond recovery.

Works for me ...

P.S. Thanks to Martin for the links.

Last edited by DonaldStott; 19th Jun 2019 at 10:27 am.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 11:07 am   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I hesitate to move into snake oil territory.....but it's essential to wash and rinse in soft (or softened) water, especially here in East Anglia.
Of course the stylus, arguably the best cleaner of all, needs cleaning after each play. When it comes to "apparent" groove damage, many may innocently confuse a surface mark - ususally inaudable, with a scratch - usually audable.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 11:22 am   #16
joebog1
Banned

I dont know that my earlier post worked ( apologies mods)
I use this stuff from USA.
Used in operating theatres and for cleaning hard drive parts.
Costs me about $23 or $ 14 a quart including post.
One quart makes 100 quarts as its mixed down 100:1

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190102.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	185354   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190103.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	185355  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 7:45 pm   #17
PaulR
Dekatron

Regarding using tap water I wonder whether the hardness of the water makes a difference. The water in Southport is hard and I have never had any success in washing LPs. They have always been much the same or worse regarding crackles. Others have been successful so maybe the type of water is a factor.
Old 19th Jun 2019, 8:00 pm   #18
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've been professionally involved in cleaning in various areas and I really don't think that using household products (often full of salt) or bleach is a good idea. In the case of hard water, I'd certainly want to rinse that off using distilled water, or better still with IPA.

B
Old 19th Jun 2019, 9:05 pm   #19
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Warm water and detergent, a gentle scrub then rinse and leave it to dry is my method and seems to work. I once tried the PVA method (have a look on Google for more info) on a spare grotty record and it did work quite well but not sure I’d try it on anything valuable!!!

Cheers,

Kev
Old 20th Jun 2019, 12:17 am   #20
joebog1
Banned

I have been using a record washing machine with the Liquinox.
The machine comes with a stiff bristle brush to actually "scrub" the record surface.
I believe its made of pig bristle. I have never damaged a record using it. It does clean the record from completely unplayable to quite quiet. This scrubbing action is in the direction of the grooves of course. The machine has a turntable that rotates about 15 RPM. The record is screwed onto it using a large knurled "nut", and when the cleaning is done, a hollow arm is swung across that has a groove machined into it where it contacts the record, with a layer of felt glued onto it. A very strong wet vacuum cleaner is then switched on and as the record rotates it is vacuumed dry in a single pass. When I dont have access to the diskwasher I use a stiff nail brush with natural bristles the Liquinox and running tap water to rinse the record off. I then use a linen tea towell to dry the LP. Not quite as good as the diskwasher, but the record goes from filthy to clean and shiny.

Remember too!! most of the crackles one hears is static electricity not scratches. It can also be caused by tiny fragments of rubbish actually caught in the grooves.

Thats how I do it.

Joe
Closed Thread