UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2019, 5:41 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Dansette Viva.

I'm repairing a Dansette Viva record player. The amplifier consists of the usual very simple two valve circuit of UL84 output and UY85 rectifier. The initial fault of no sound was that the UY85 had died, but what caused it to fail? Turned out to be that the UL84 retaining clip had short circuited to the HT tag on the output transformer.
It's an easy fix so far but the sound output is low because a medium output stereo pick-up cartridge has been fitted, an X5H would be better.
So how about a simple transistor single stage preamplifier? I'm sure this has been discussed before. An alternative but not so easy solution is change the UL84 for an UCL82 triode-pentode. Again, I'm sure that idea has been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 7th Jun 2019 at 6:11 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2019, 5:59 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Viva.

UCL82, matching the ceramic cartridge would be easier than a transistor unless you tried a FET.
Old 7th Jun 2019, 6:06 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

Yes you are right this topic has been discussed before, I’m not sure how to link you up, but if you do a search it should come up.
I would always stick to a valve solution and not mix with transistors.
Cheers
John
Old 7th Jun 2019, 6:25 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=111572

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=124429
Old 7th Jun 2019, 7:06 pm   #5
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
I'm repairing a Dansette Viva record player. The amplifier consists of the usual very simple two valve circuit of UL84 output and UY85 rectifier. The initial fault of no sound was that the UY85 had died, but what caused it to fail? Turned out to be that the UL84 retaining clip had short circuited to the HT tag on the output transformer.
It's an easy fix so far but the sound output is low because a medium output stereo pick-up cartridge has been fitted, an X5H would be better.
So how about a simple transistor single stage preamplifier? I'm sure this has been discussed before. An alternative but not so easy solution is change the UL84 for an UCL82 triode-pentode. Again, I'm sure that idea has been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

DFWB.
Why go the long way round? Just fit a cartridge with suitable output.
Old 7th Jun 2019, 8:17 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

£40 versus time and the spares box?
Depends whether it's yours or a Customer's.
Old 8th Jun 2019, 8:58 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The VIVA was Dansette's most basic and budget autochange record player ever....
You can buy a HTC8 re-manufacturerd cartridge for £35-00, but this is a Mono-only type. Sourcing a suitable high-output stereo compatible cartridge for single-stage amps is virtually impossible these days. You could rewire for an UCL82, but do bear in mind that this player only has a 5" diameter small magnet speaker and may not give full justice to such a conversion.
Old 8th Jun 2019, 10:08 am   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Plenty of possibilities in the links.

Just to be different (and reflecting my junk box) I've just done a Bermuda with a non inverting LF411 fed via a 47k resistor and four series 6V8 zeners from the HT rail.

Easy to mount the Veroboard and tagstrips to the wooden base of the cabinet and (not that it's likely anyone will ever bother) easy to reverse in future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bermuda mod.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	184666  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th Jun 2019, 7:47 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, I have used the TAA320 chip from Mullard with success in this application. I might even have shown the circuit in a thread about 3 years back.
But plenty of other circuits on the forum to do this if you can take the Si solution

Ed
Old 8th Jun 2019, 9:25 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's in this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=124429 which eventually produces a working design, although the OP opts to use a Velleman k1018 module.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 9:14 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote BRASSBITS:
"Why go the long way round? Just fit a cartridge with suitable output."

Well I did find a BSR X5H in the shop but unfortunately it was faulty.

So now the Dansette Viva has a simple pre-amplifier which employs a BC549 low noise transistor.
The extra stage of amplification has certainly boosted the sound output, that's good but not so good the hum level has been amplified. In the workshop the mains is supplied from an isolation transformer operating in an earth free zone. Having no earthed mains sockets means record players of this type produce a lot of hum, not so bad when connected to the normal earthed sockets away from the workbench. Nevertheless the hum level is still too high.
The two pickup BS415 isolation capacitors are only 0.003microfarads each which mean the reactance is 1Mohms @ 50Hz. When the isolation capacitor on the earthy side is shorted out the hum is reduced to an acceptable level.
However, the capacitors are an essential fitment.
In the Stella ST561 record player the pickup isolation capacitors are mounted on the record deck close to the pickup wires tag strip.

For the next repair to this type of record player I'll use the TAA320 IC as suggested by Ed.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DansetteViva.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	185164   Click image for larger version

Name:	DansetteViva_preamp.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	185165  
Old 16th Jun 2019, 6:35 pm   #12
buggies
Heptode

That blue wire (from the mains switch?) seems to be wrapped round the input capacitor...
Old 16th Jun 2019, 7:57 pm   #13
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi George,
the blue wire is the mains supply to the anode resistor of the UY85. It will be repositioned well away from the audio leads.
We've always got concerns about safety with this type of equipment but at least the record deck is connected to the mains earth. To be honest it might be a better idea to remove the valve amplifier and fit a Velleman solid state amplifier which will be supplied from an isolated power supply.
Then there will be no more worries about safety. Benefits will be reduced hum and reduced heat dissipation .

DFWB.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 10:33 pm   #14
tracypaper
Octode

If you don't fancy stripping the BSR X5H to get it going again, can I have it please?
Gaz.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 11:27 pm   #15
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Gaz,
I've sent you a PM.

DFWB.
Old 21st Jun 2019, 10:27 am   #16
FERNSEH
Dekatron

A new audio amplifier chassis will be constructed for this record player. The Velleman amplifier module and the mains transformer will be mounted on a metal plate which will replace the old printed circuit board. The pickup mains isolation capacitors can now be removed.
The mains transformer was removed from a video recorder. The amplifier will be supplied with 14volts. The Velleman amplifier can operate from supplies of 8 to 18volts.
The faulty UY85 was not made by Mullard. Note the symbol to the right of the BVA logo, this indicates it was sourced from a third party. Most likely to be Mazda.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VellemanP4001.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	185446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DansetteViva_amplifier.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	185447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DansetteViva_UY85.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	185448  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 12:13 pm   #17
John10b
Nonode

Well you made your decision and it looks tidy. Hope you get the results you want.
I would always stick to valves, but that's me showing my age
Cheers
John
Old 21st Jun 2019, 3:59 pm   #18
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
Nothing wrong with valves and in fact if the Viva was equipped with a mains transformer there would be no reason to replace the old amplifier.
The new amplifier was tested today and I can report it gives excellent results.
The IC used in the Velleman module is the TDA2003.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 6:14 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm surprised you crossed the floor with this one David installing 'crystal valves' to replace the original valve amplifier.

To put a top hat on it you also employed one built on one of those printed circuit novelties.

To be honest David I don't blame you. These record players were safe in their day when nobody took them apart and fiddled with them, fitting sockets to play modern equipment etc. Some recent posts have scared me a bit.

At least it will be safe and more suited to modern standards. John.
Closed Thread