UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2019, 7:41 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Two very quick Bush DAC90A questions?

Before Posting here I've trawled through the Forum looking for answers to these questions which hopefully won't take up too much time?

1. The picture below shows the red and black wires coming from the back of the original two pin mains "plug" and going to the on/off switch - any idea why the wires cross-over, not my doing! I haven't seen that configuration in a DAC90A so just curious as to which one should be live and which one neutral?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_181645.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	185014

Lurking behind these wires slightly to the right is C18, the audio coupling capacitor - very shortly to be replaced so that it can go and join all it's other Waxy friends!

2. I seem to have misplaced the connecting wires between the secondary tags on the Output Transformer and the loudspeaker - how long should these be?

All new wires are heatproof silicone rubber multi-strand flex courtesy of Phil Marrison (SWB 18) while the open circuit Output Transformer was expertly rewound by Ed Dinning.

Hope someone can help...
Old 13th Jun 2019, 8:27 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Two very quick Bush DAC90A questions?

Hi Donald according to the two DAC90a 's in my collection the wiring is correct ie the live is nearest the end of the chassis, I make a point of marking the plug / socket. so I don't get a live chassis . as to the length of the speaker wires Iwould think six to eight inches , to allow you to work on the chassis without un soldering the the wires every time . Mick.
Old 14th Jun 2019, 6:46 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

The only safe thing to do with a DAC90A is to remove all the wires from the chassis plug and hardwire a 2 core mains cable to the switch. You will need to arrange a secure entry point and anchor method for the cable and ensure that neutral (blue) wire is the one which eventually connects to the chassis via the dial lamps.

You may think that marking the plug is safe but when the radio eventually passes onto someone else they may not understand or notice whatever marking you have put on.

Mike
Old 14th Jun 2019, 8:33 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Back to the old can of worms here...... you've now modified the set from its original spec. It may well be safer but you might just end up in court trying to prove it!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Jun 2019, 9:44 am   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

Oh no - I just hoped that these would indeed be two very quick Bush DAC90A questions, so I'm putting the lid back on that " ... old can of worms"!

Mick (vinrads) has provided advice on the speaker wire lengths - thanks.

I'm simply asking why the wires to the switch cross over - was this part of the original spec or has this set been modified?? Looking at the potentiometer, which of the tags on either side of the wiper are live and neutral?

Just looking to avoid a live chassis!
Old 14th Jun 2019, 9:59 am   #6
electrogram
Heptode

The crossed over wires look like they are multistrand pvc covered wire, in all the sets I have seen these wires are systoflex covered single wires, so I would say they have been replaced for some reason or other
Old 14th Jun 2019, 10:08 am   #7
pip5678
Pentode

I've seen them with and without the crossover wiring. Most sets I have worked on have the non-chassis (live preferred) pin on the left looking from the back. A meter to chassis from each of the pins is the safest way to see which is which.
Old 14th Jun 2019, 10:15 am   #8
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks to everyone for their helpful contributions.

Moderators can you please close this Thread ... !
Old 14th Jun 2019, 10:34 am   #9
Station X

Thread closed as requested by OP.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread