UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2019, 10:08 am   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Heat sinking grease?

"Copper grease" is indeed abrasive.

In a situation like this I'd prefer to use one of the Moly-greases, so if the heat drives-off/dries-out the oily phase of the grease over time you're still left with the Molybdenum Disulphide to provide the lubrication.
Old 29th May 2019, 6:40 pm   #22
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Heat sinking grease?

I've just taken a peek inside our "Tower" valve and the curved rack-and-pinion gears are easy to access. This was replaced not so long ago and I can't see a huge amount of grease on the gears. I am inclined to think that a small amount of fresh graphite- or molybdenum-grease applied in late summer/autumn (before the central heating needs to be activated) might be a good idea, if I can remember!
Colin.
Closed Thread