UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2019, 5:40 pm   #41
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Rust removal from steel component on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
All the above makes absorbing reading, is there any way of making any of the above (apart from the molasses) thixotropic so it can be applied to a vertical surface without dripping off?
As no one has suggested anything better, you could use "fumed silica" (i.e. extremely fine silica powder) as sold under the names of Cab-O-Sil and Aerosil.
There are some sellers on ebay. You need to add the silica at a concentration of around about 5wt% or a little more, so 50g of silica in 1 litre of water. Anything to do with silica powder sets the Health and Safety bells ringing, so check out the SDS sheets for those materials, use a mask and work in a well-ventillated place if you do use them. They are in widespread use as thickening agents for foods, cosmetics, etc, etc.

Regarding electrolysis, a sacrificial iron anode seems like the only way. I tried what I thought was carbon rod but that disintegrated and stainless steel releases harmful chromium compounds.

B
Old 21st May 2019, 10:24 pm   #42
LXSTEIN45
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
Can I have a description of what exactly you are doing? Electrolyte? What is the other electrode made of?
Yep as stated above scrap iron if possible, I used mild steel plate. I set current to about 20mA per cm^2. Soda crystals from Morrisons.

That is all there is to it!

Be wary of the conductivity of the solution though. At 2v I got a huge belt across the chest. Very foolish of me to dip my hand in whilst being in contact with the other electrode AND doing so whilst switched on. Probably a good job it was fully loaded and current limited as open voltage was 20V!
Old 21st May 2019, 10:38 pm   #43
trh01uk
Octode

Right - thank you for the recipe. Is the temperature of the solution at all important? I've a vague recollection that heating it above ambient helps things along.

Richard
Closed Thread