UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2019, 9:30 am   #1
crestavega
Pentode

Default M323 Mk1 with wind-up ringer???

I have a set of 2 x M323-Mk1 telephones, with a terminal block and a wind-the-handle dynamo. (I say dynamo, but not really sure if thats what it is)
These have been used as a 2-station intercom system about 40 years ago and I would like to resurrect them as such.
can anyone give any pointers as to how they should be configured for use like this? I presume that the dynamo is just to make the ringer happen and there should be a battery somewhere.....
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 12:30 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: M323 Mk1 with wind-up ringer???

Probably just two wires, they could be sound powered : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound-powered_telephone.
Old 16th May 2019, 8:23 am   #3
Test Desk
Tetrode

Default Re: M323 Mk1 with wind-up ringer???

Bill,thanks for bringing the sound- powered phone to my attention. I never knew such a beast existed!

From the description on your link to Wikipedia, I was amazed to learn about the operation and application of these phones. I see the transmitter is a "rocking armature" type, so I guess it's like using a receiver inset 4T in reverse?

I'm impressed with the distance achieved without power but I imagine one factor is how loudly you can bellow into it!
Closed Thread