UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:24 pm   #21
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: Revox A77 aficionados in Scotland ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy1904 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
OL indicates infinite resistance, so either your probes aren't making good contact with the end caps or the fuse is intermittent.

You could put both fuses back and measure the DC voltage wrt ground on all four end caps
caps.
Okay so can you measure the DC voltage on the end caps using the multimeter also ?
Yes, but make sure you switch meter to the DC Volts range first.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:26 pm   #22
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy1904 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
OL indicates infinite resistance, so either your probes aren't making good contact with the end caps or the fuse is intermittent.

You could put both fuses back and measure the DC voltage wrt ground on all four end caps
caps.
Okay so can you measure the DC voltage on the end caps using the multimeter also ?
Yes, but you need to measure the DC Voltage with respect to the other side of the supply. Not having the service data to hand I don't know where that is, but you might be ablt to find it by experiment. Chassis metalwork is always a good starting point.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:33 pm   #23
ms660
Dekatron

There are various copies of the schematic and service manuals here in varying quality, FOC or registration, I'm looking at service manual 4 (not the MK4) if that's any use:

https://www.vintageshifi.com/reperto...oogle_vignette

Lawrence.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 3:40 pm   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The fuses are AC voltages from the secondary windings of the mains transformer.

For fuse F103 the winding voltage is shown as 22VAC, for fuse F102 the winding voltage is shown as 24VAC. To measure these AC voltages at either side of the fuses you would have to connect the other side of the meter (set to AC voltage) to the respective other end of the winding that connects to the respective bridge rectifier (shown as connection D5 for the 22VAC and connection D7 for the 24VAC).

Do not know what sort of reading you might get if you tried to measure DC voltage either side of the fuses but it would be misleading.

I would say probably easier just to measure the +21V & +27V DC voltages at the smoothing capacitors C101 & C104 ( +ve connection) respectively, assuming they are practically accessible, with the meter negative lead connected to 0V/ground

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 21st Jun 2021 at 3:46 pm.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 4:08 pm   #25
Station X

C101 is on the wrong side of the voltage regulation circuit for measuring the DC voltage across it. Better to measure it across suitable interconnect points. AD1 and AD2?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 6:51 pm   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

On 2 schematics I have checked the +ve side of C101 connects directly to AD1, AD2 is the 0V so appears identical to me to what I suggested ?

David
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 10:34 am   #27
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, measuring from ground to the +ve of the reservoir capacitors will give the B+ supply voltages.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Oct 2021, 4:56 pm   #28
Mikebee88
Triode

Sorry this response is a little late and you may have sorted your A77 by now but I own and have fully restored four of these machines. I live in Dunfermline and would be pleased to offer you any practical assistance if you'd like to get in touch.
Closed Thread