UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2008, 7:38 pm   #41
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Your first record player

Look here: http://www.kiddierekordking.com/phono.html

These records have a following all of their own. : http://www.kiddierekordking.com/index.html

And this: http://www.***********/photos/streetkonst/27871255/

And this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=y-s85pGCoYU&feature=related

I've got one somewhere. Jack and Jill I think.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 30th Jun 2008, 7:40 pm   #42
telstar
Octode

Ours was a Regentone Handygram. My father bought it us from a shop known as G.A Hubbard - once a large organisation in East Anglia, now longer in business, in Saxmundham, Suffolk (when we lived in the area from 1963 to 1967).
The Regentone was housed in a rexine covered box, and had 4 speeds 16, 33+1/3, 45, and 78 rpm. It had a crystal pick-up.
We were given a box of records by someone else, mostly 45rpm from the 1950's, but there were some lps.
Mike
Old 30th Jun 2008, 7:47 pm   #43
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I'm pretty sure that's the one I had.
http://www.***********/photos/streetkonst/27871255/

I also had some lovely records of Johnny Morris reading Thomas the Tank Engine stories. These were 45s that had to be played on the "proper" record player. I still have my first few LPs. One is of Danny Kaye singing songs for children of all ages. There's a little white duck, quack....
Old 30th Jun 2008, 9:53 pm   #44
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I had a train that played plastic records inserted vertically, they would then spin in the train, I think as it went along. It would probably be a collectors item now. I'd forgotten about that until i read this thread.
Old 30th Jun 2008, 10:49 pm   #45
rovereab
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the one I had.
http://www.***********/photos/streetkonst/27871255/
That's the one I had

Thanks for finding it!

Eamonn
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:20 am   #46
Station X

There's a thread on toy record players here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6115

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 12:05 pm   #47
Aub
Nonode

Mine was a Philips Disc Jockey Major, passed on to me by my elder sister, round about 1965. It had a lovely sound but loads of rumble from the deck. Eventualy, after the arm broke, I removed the internal valve amp and re-sited it within the lid, which housed the speaker. I made a back for the lid, out of hardboard, and fitted an input jack. My nephew used this amp as one channel of a stereo set up.

Wished I'd kept the whole thing complete now!

Cheers

Aub
Old 1st Jul 2008, 7:21 pm   #48
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, my Mam and Dad bought a new Decca SRG707 radiogram in about 1962. It gave sterling service until it was disposed of in 1985.
Old 5th Jul 2008, 5:25 pm   #49
JoshWard
Octode

Mine was a HMV 2011 with a BSR UA14 I got from a local antique dealers' for £10. It's now fully restored and I've since got a KB TuneTime, Dansette Conquest, McMichael Twin 4, Pye Black Box, Grundig Stereo Mandello (large radiogram), McMichael 554 (large radiogram), and a tabletop McMichael radiogram.
As for seperate turntables I have a Goldring Lenco GL75, a Mitsubishi, a Grundig and a Garrard SP25.
Old 6th Jul 2008, 11:51 am   #50
pentode12
Retired Dormant Member

I was the proud owner of a new blue and cream Fidelity CRP4 in 1967..
It hummed a lot from new.
The instructions told of reversing the mains polarity should the player hum,
but it made no difference.
This was later upgraded to a pink Dansette Bermuder purchased from a school mate for £1 .
Both now live in the loft but still work when last tried a year ago.

Regards
Andy.
Old 6th Jul 2008, 2:59 pm   #51
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I also started off with one of those red Chad Valley acoustic players, then graduated to a Westminster job fitted with the little 7" BSR turntable with separate arm at about 7 years old. This was a live chassis device, with HT derived from a 90V (I think) tap on the motor. You could feel the mains leakage 'vibration' on touching the platter!
My parents had a rather nice Auto-Deccalian, with bass and treble controls and a real tweeter, which sounded rather good at the time. I've only ever seen one more of that exact model.
Old 6th Jul 2008, 3:20 pm   #52
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentode12 View Post
I was the proud owner of a new blue and cream Fidelity CRP4... It hummed a lot from new.
Maybe calling it the Fidelity "CR4P" would have been even more apt
Old 6th Jul 2008, 4:50 pm   #53
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Your first record player

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentode12 View Post
I was the proud owner of a new blue and cream Fidelity CRP4 in 1967..
It hummed a lot from new.
Both now live in the loft but still work when last tried a year ago.

Regards
Andy.
Loft not the best, in fact the worse, place to store anything, and ideally they should be plugged in every few months if you wish to keep them working Any basic power supply consisting of mains transformer, rec and some smoothing is likely to give mains hum. It can be reduced by fitting a regulator in the secondary supply and a bit more smoothing.

Geof
Old 7th Jul 2008, 6:59 pm   #54
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

In response to Dseymo's post, it's the heaters that were fed from the 90volt tap. The record player would have had a UY85 rectifier & a UL84 output valve. They used series connected 100mA heaters and the HT was derived straight from the mains with just a couple of ceramic caps to isolate the cartridge. I had a Baird "vanity case" type of thing with the same arrangement (see my post further up the thread)
Cheers de Pete
Old 8th Jul 2008, 9:25 pm   #55
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
In response to Dseymo's post, it's the heaters that were fed from the 90volt tap
You're quite right, of course.
I clearly remember being bitten by this thing on attempting to fit an extension speaker with the mains turned on. I also remember the smell of the Vynair top when it got hot!
Old 10th Jul 2008, 6:39 pm   #56
pentode12
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
Loft not the best, in fact the worse, place to store anything, and ideally they should be plugged in every few months if you wish to keep them working Any basic power supply consisting of mains transformer, rec and some smoothing is likely to give mains hum. It can be reduced by fitting a regulator in the secondary supply and a bit more smoothing.

Geof
Thanks for that geofy,
you are of course quite right.
The players are infact sealed and boxed in the loft and are quite safe.
Regretfully I dont run them as often as I should...
The Fidelity was a budget unit and had a very basic amp and power supply.
From memory I think there was no mains transformer as it used a UY85 ? and a UL84 ?.The mains only being half wave rectified,hence the hum..
This I guess its part of its' charm so will leave as is,but a good idea though..
Cheers
Andy.
Old 9th Aug 2008, 9:52 pm   #57
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Sorry I'me so late coming in on this one.
My very first record player was a hand me down from my brother. It was the Dansette A4016 which my brother gave me for my 15th birthday present. He'd bought himself a Rigonda Symphony.
I was well chuffed with this stereo record player, despite only having a 3w per channel it did sound good. You could also play your tranny radio though its 5 pin DIN socket.
It did come with a fault, intermittent buzzing which came and went if you tapped the side of the cabinet. My brother was advised by someone in Woolies that the chips may need replacing. A few years later when I was a trainee TV/audio engineer I decided to take a look. You can imagine my delight when I found not a single chip in sight, but a straightforward two 4 transistor per channel circuit. The fault turned out to be nothing more than a dry joint on on one leg of the main 1500uf smoothing cap. In fact they had cut the legs two short, so after suitably extending both legs it worked better than when it was new.
It carried on for years with just the normal stylus replacement required and I think I only needed to replace the cartridge once. The BSR type C 123 R deck never gave any problems and the way I had set it up did justice to all my 45 and album collection. The main problem though was noisy slider controlls which was easily cured by a good squirt of switch cleaner.
Unfortunately I do not know what has become of it as I left it with my familly when I left home.
Old 9th Dec 2008, 1:42 pm   #58
Don Brown
Retired Dormant Member

My first record player was a Bush TRP45 TOP TEN portable cost me £15 from the shop where I was a trainee Radio/TV engineer.
I run it into the ground, ran on U2's which I used to warm up to get a bit more life out of them. Found another one on Ebay the other year but DC motor on the Staar deck playing up.

Regards

Don
Old 9th Dec 2008, 3:32 pm   #59
Tim
Dekatron

The first record player in my life was an HMV 2002- with the then new Garrard Autoslim 4 speed autochanger- that my mum bought new in about 1962 when she left college and got her first teaching job. She still has it and it still works!( Just finished working on it, and will be taking it round for Christmas. Usual lubricate and cap change and that was about it.) I replaced both the valves when I was 14.

My first actual record player(that was REALLY mine) was a blue Dansette Major, I saw under a workbench at BAE systems when I was there doing work experience-but I can't tell you any more about THAT aspect.
I begged it, got a chitty to get it past the security on the gate and took it home on the bus. One replacement mains transformer later-----------well, it still works but the BSR Monarch deck does need some attention, and I really ought to change that "bell wire" mains cable.
Old 10th Dec 2008, 12:08 am   #60
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

A succession of clockwork gramophones for a long while, there've always been some around - currently there's an HMV carefully wrapped up.

In the house we had a record deck which I think was by EMI, I've only ever seen one other. It was only a motor and a very heavy electric pickup which used ordinary steel needles - later I would save up for sapphire-tipped ones. The case was varnished plywood, rectangular with one end curved to match the turntable. No lid, and the pickup plugged into the back of the Philips 170A which is up on the bench waiting for my lurgi to go away!

At some point we had a 78 only autochanger radiogram but it was too big, I'd guess that Mom put her foot down. Came teenage years we had a Dansette?, fairly large with I think a Collaro autochanger - this is is packed away awaiting much tlc, it was a very good record player at the time.

I still have "Sparkie's Magic Piano" on three 78s - all we need now is a new thread!

Regards Ant
Closed Thread