UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2016, 5:40 pm   #1
Oso Bear
Retired Dormant Member

Default Repairing a broken tuning cable

Hello, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to get repairs these days, on the tuning pulley cable inside a portable radio. I apologise for being uncertain of the technical term for this item, but it is a kind of pulley system inside the radio, for moving the tuning dial through the wavelengths, when the control knob is turned.

Many years ago, when I opened the back of my late 1970s ITT Polo 109 radio (http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/itt_gra..._52131017.html) I accidentally snagged the cable and broke it. Although I managed to glue it together, it has always struggled to move past certain points, especially when the weather is cold.

I'd like to have the radio repaired, as it was given to me on my 11th birthday in 1978 and has been through life's ups and downs with me.

What concerns me however, is whether I'd find anyone who is actually skilled at doing this work, as more recent radios don't appear to contain this system. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	118154  
Old 9th Jan 2016, 5:43 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Repairing a broken tuning cable

Are you looking for a repairer in Thailand?

You can replace the tuning cord with monofilament nylon fishing line.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 5:59 pm   #3
Oso Bear
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for replying. I'm not too keen on having the radio touched in Thailand, as service standards and the perception of what counts as acceptable standards, are generally extremely low here. So no, it would go back to Europe.

From what I can remember of the time that I repaired the tuning cord, it felt rather like a form of fibre-glass material. And I also remember that when glued, it bonded extremely well. That was back in 1985.

I recall that it was quite a tricky thing to get it right. I think that the dial was incorrect, in relation to the actual frequency for some time until I had another attempt at it. So, it's perhaps not best that I attempt it myself!
Old 9th Jan 2016, 8:12 pm   #4

They can be a bit tricky but it is all visible, and with a bit of care and patience you can do it. Don't get frustrated though, have a cup of tea and return.

Closed Thread