UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2014, 4:49 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Derritron Ltd, Hastings

Folks, does anyone know anything about this old electronics company, please ? Yes,I've already Googled it, but couldn't find what I need to know. I'm not interested in their vibrating equipment.
In my quest for info on BEME-LOOP Equipment( See Beme, Hythe thread), I've found out that they were taken over by Derritron, and my hope is that there are old Derritron archives which might help.
Seemingly, there is a Derritron Facebook site for ex employees run by a Glyn Brown, but I haven't been able to contact the guy.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Regards, David
Old 24th Oct 2014, 5:49 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Derritron Ltd, Hastings

I have a manual for a Derritron amplifier, dated 1963. It gives two addresses
Service:
Derritron Ultrasonics Ltd.
Chapman Service Division
Chapel Lane, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

Sales:
Derritron Ultrasonics Ltd.
Sales Division
24 Upper Brook street, London, W1.
Old 24th Oct 2014, 7:57 pm   #3
Station X

Some info on name changes here:-

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200207.html

http://bizzy.co.uk/uk/00692610/derri...nd-development

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Oct 2014, 9:01 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Many thanks guys for the info.The Upper Brook St address was in fact the original BEME office address.
Seemingly, the Derritron Group of companies went out of business back in the 80's. But what the heck happened to their old technical data ? I just hope that it wasn't dumped in a skip. I'll weep from now to Christmas !
Old 26th Jun 2015, 11:48 am   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

HASTINGS FOLK,
The quest continues. Derritron took over Beme in 1962. By then, Beme was called Beme Telecommunication Ltd, Hythe. Within a year, they were re-named Derritron Telecommunications Ltd and eventually moved to Derritron Group's big factory in Hastings. Derritron took over Beme's London address. Derritron Group was liquidated in 1982.
I would dearly like to be put in contact with an ex employee who was around when Derritron folded.
If any Hastings guys are reading this - please ask around. e.g. Local Probus Club, Amateur Radio Club, etc.
I've read all the internet bumph on Beme & Derritron, but there is nothing of any technical significance.

Regards, David
Old 26th Jun 2015, 2:28 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'll see if I can find anything out David-I'm five miles away! Reelguy [Peter] has been around Bexhill much longer and worked in Hastings [printing] he might know something. I do know a younger guy who is employed doing military assembly work in Hastings and he may have older colleagues who can help.
Dave W
Old 26th Jun 2015, 3:49 pm   #7
reelguy
Heptode

My memory isn't good these days but I think Derritron ltd was in Drury lane Hastings .Just up the road from where I worked. The building was then taken over by Philips but not sure when.
It might be an idea to put a wanted notice in the local "Hastings Observer" newspaper or maybe a request on the letter page. Or contact the Hastings Amateur Radio Club.
Good Luck.
If I think of anything else I'll update the info.
Peter W... Reelguy
Old 26th Jun 2015, 4:10 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

That was fast. Peter got there before I could contact him! I'll check it out with the chap I mentioned at the factory asap.
Dave
Old 26th Jun 2015, 4:50 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Dave & Peter, the guys you've mentioned might be a lead. I sent off an email to the Observer this morning, fingers crossed. Will look up an address for the local AR club.
The technical documentation from these small taken-over electronics companies often gets skipped when the bigger parent companies themselves go bust. Folk have told me that was the fate of Coastal Radio's stuff when Marconi eventually shut down Chelmsford. Possibly Rees-Mace's fate also when Pye were in the throes of running down. Although kind folk at the Pye Museum have promised to keep in touch when they get round to researching the Pye/Rees-Mace factory in Lowestoft.
Actually, I do enjoy researching old companies as much as repairing/restoring their old equipment. I was fortunate in being able to make contact with an original member of Coastal Radio's design team. Very interesting. Most of these guys in Hythe, Hastings, Chelmsford, Lowestoft, & so on - will now be in their late 70's or well into their 80's.
I guess my interest stems from the fact that I frequently passed Hartley's factory in Shrewsbury in my childhood & teenage years, but never got a look inside. A big regret.

Regards, David
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 6:25 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

I thought you would like to know that your enquiry is in the Bexhill Observer today David so it will be in the Hastings edition as well. I've not seen my contact yet but I will be on to that next week. Hopefully you might even have some info by then

Dave W
Old 19th Jul 2015, 5:08 pm   #11
HideawayStudio
Triode

Quite by chance I've stumbled across this thread with great interest.
For a couple of years now I've had the exact same quest..

In my case I purchased a Derritron TF2 tracking filter which was originally designed for vibration analysis but has proven to be a very interesting filter for audio use.

It arrived in a very sorry state but is now looking much happier for itself.
I'd dearly like to know more about this unit.

There appears to be a Facebook page dedicated to ex Derritron staff but frustratingly I don't have a FB account.

I'd really like to hear from someone on the technical side of this company who might be able to shed some light on this curious piece of kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derritron.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	110830  

Last edited by AC/HL; 19th Jul 2015 at 11:10 pm. Reason: Image uploaded
Old 8th Jan 2016, 12:30 pm   #12
exderritron
Retired Dormant Member

I worked at Derritrons nearly up to when it closed. Buildings were in Sedlescombe Road North, Hastings. I was in the Doran Instrument section. There was also Derritron Industrial Vibrators, and Chapman Radios.
Closed Thread