UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2014, 8:46 am   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Opening a 'dead' spray can.

I've had three cans of black wrinkle finish in stock for over ten years. When they were new and in regular supply the spray output was very irregular and often blocked up. Sure enough yesterday when I tried to do a small job with one it blocked up and even with the nozzle removed pressing the little tube that sticks out of the top would not allow the paint to come through.

Clearly there is paint in there, it's almost new and unused and heavy so I thought I'd take it into the garden and punch a small hole in the top to allow the air pressure to release prior to cutting off the top with tin snips.

I realise this might be a dangerous activity but if I let the can settle for a while and punch a hole with a scriber, on the top side away from me, into what must be an air space I should render the can safe and can then re-use this rare paint in another manual spray gun.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this procedure or better still has anyone done it before.

Jim
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 9:05 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Opening a 'dead' spray can.

Hi Jim. I'd clamp the can firmly then drive a small nail in near the top. The nail should remain in place leaving the propellant to leak out slowly. I think it might not be air - old aerosols were commonly pressurised with CFCs ('Freon safety propellants') which are of course banned from atmospheric release by international law!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 9:21 am   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have a fair few spray cans that are over 20 years old, some of which are still fine and spray properly.
I always shake them for at least 5 minutes before trying, but I have some that appear to have lost all pressure, but the paint is still fine.
I drive in a panel pin at the top of the can through a rag to stop the paint going everywhere!
Always do this outside, as it can be messy. I then transfer the paint into airtight jars for future use.

Mark
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 10:29 am   #4
paulsherwin

The propellant might well be propane or another inflammable gas, so you should bear this in mind.

I would drill a hole using a Dremel and very small bit. The can should start to vent slowly as the bit starts to penetrate, and the process should be more controllable than using a nail.
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 11:34 am   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd put in in the freezer first for a few hours, which will reduce the pressure. Then do the nailing / drilling inside a plastic bag.

Have fun!
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 11:37 am   #6
G4XWDJim
Octode

Thanks for the ideas folks.

I liked Paul's idea of using a small drill but was worried that I might end up filling the chuck with paint so I used Marks idea of a panel pin through a rag. A quick tap and a hole sealed by a panel pin allowed the propellant to gently vent itself. Not known for my patience which was wearing thin after two minutes gentle hissing I pulled out the panel pin. Whoops!

Fortunately the rag was controlling the outflow which didn't last long and the black patch on my lawn is rather attractive and a distinctive new feature..

After I'd cut the top off I noticed a distinct bubbling coming up through the paint which continues some 20 minutes after I'd transferred the paint to a jam jar. I'm reluctant to put the lid on.

I wondered whether because this is wrinkle finish paint there is some sort of additive in the paint that causes the wrinkle reaction. Will I ever be able to put the lid on. Talk about Genies out of bottles.

Jim

EDIT.
I've just checked the temperature of the jam jar 30 minutes later to find it's very cold which to me suggests that there is still some propellant escaping but where is it coming from, does it combine with liquid paint.

Last edited by G4XWDJim; 2nd Aug 2014 at 12:07 pm. Reason: Additions.
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 11:43 am   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

My comment posted just too late then

The bubbling will probably be evaporating propellant. If you feel the jar you will find it's cold - the initial evaporation causes cooling, and the vapourisation of the remaining propellant is thereby slowed down. But it still continues till it's all gone.
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 1:03 pm   #8

I have with varying success re-pressurized cans using a butane lighter filler (get one with all the adaptors in the lid), as said before pop the can in the freezer for a bit first and warm the lighter gas can.

Old 2nd Aug 2014, 1:16 pm   #9
G4XWDJim
Octode

The problem I've always had with these wrinkle finish cans, even when they were current production, whether made by Sperex, which this one was or Hycote which I've commonly used is that they always seem to clog up internally and not just the outlet nozzle. I submerge them in very hot water which seems to help but I think it was uncommon to get one that worked properly until it emptied. I always used to try them in the shop before paying for them as it was not unknown for them to block whilst still on the shelf.

Jim
Old 5th Aug 2014, 11:56 am   #10
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I used to use a lot of spray glue and kept a stock of spare knozzles as they were always blocking up. Blocked ones I would recycle by soaking them in solvent.

The other day I used some WD-40 on a hinge. I always have several cans but this had been languishing at the back of a cupboard. I noticed a holiday competition sticker on the can. Closing date can just be made out as 31 March 1992...
Old 6th Aug 2014, 5:25 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

For spray paint, after use you should always hold the can upside down and press the nozzle until only air comes out. This should stop paint drying on and clogging the tube and nozzle.
Closed Thread