UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2013, 9:14 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Coronation off screen pictures. 2-6-53

Have you ever wondered how the Coronation television broadcast actually appeared on the screen in your living room?
This afternoon an 80 year old gentleman showed me a series of captures he took from his Grandad's Cossor TV on the 2nd of June.
The prints are two and a quarter inches square and of astonishing quality.
I took some shots from the prints in very bad conditions but unfortunately the focus is bad and I could not kill the reflections from just about everything around me. The originals are in perfect focus and the contrast gradation is excellent. I think this is the first time I have seen any prints taken by a member of the public from a television receiver. I would really like to scan them so that you could see them in full glory and if at all possible, will do so. He took the pictures with a second hand camera that cost him 10/- [50P] John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coronation pictures..jpg
Views:	340
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	84969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coronation pictures. (1).jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	84970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coronation pictures. (2).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	84971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coronation pictures. (3).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	84972  
Old 11th Oct 2013, 10:52 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Coronation off screen pictures. 2-6-53

It would be fantastic if you could get some good scans of those pics. I'm sure we all would love to see them in their full 405-line glory. Despite the poor focus of your shots, the clean quality of the displayed image shines through.
Old 12th Oct 2013, 1:00 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

21/4" square sounds like contact prints from a 120 negative.

He doesn't have those negatives by any chance? They could still be enlarged to produce something like an A4 print of the screen image, which would be near enough life size........
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Oct 2013, 10:35 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

I am not surprised at the high quality pictures, those of us who remember watching 405 line TV many years ago will know just how good the picture was.

I have recorded the original broadcast and played it through my Pye D18T and Bush TV22, the results are outstanding, a lovely clear well defined picture was obtained from both sets, and sound quality that puts modern sets to shame.

Mark
Old 12th Oct 2013, 10:54 am   #5
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Just fantastic, I look forward future scans in higher definition. I was there at the time in front of a Bush TV11A that is, but only 9 years old so don't remember much except Zadoc the priest and a few other items.
Victor.
Old 12th Oct 2013, 11:05 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Photos actually taken at the time of broadcast are a great find. The quality comes across in them as well as on the original recording but it's clear from the writings of ex engineers in the trade that many users accepted sets running at a much lower standard than is actually possible. I remember that we struggled with our first 12" set even with curtains drawn etc but thought it great just to see something! On the other hand Mike Barker's Demo set ups at Golborne have enabled us to view 405 b+w images of outstanding quality "right here right now" as the dance tune has it!
Dave W
Old 12th Oct 2013, 8:51 pm   #7
crusher19860138
Hexode

I have heard that the sound on 405 lines was of the best quality.
Old 12th Oct 2013, 9:05 pm   #8
Panrock
Nonode

I wonder if the gent can say how old the Cossor television was when the photos were taken? It would be interesting to guess which model it was...

http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/cossor/cossor.htm

Steve
Old 12th Oct 2013, 9:47 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I thought exactly the same thing! It had a 185BT line output valve so it could have been one of many models. My guess is one from the 916 series as these were very popular. The 185BT failed a day before the Coronation and he tells me they were virtually impossible to obtain. He fitted an EL38 with the heater supply dropped through a resistor and it worked fine. I will try to borrow the pictures so that I can scan them. John.
Old 12th Oct 2013, 10:47 pm   #10
Panrock
Nonode

Yes, the picture mask shape does look feasible for a 916. He was obviously a genned-up 20-year old lad to fit up the EL38! If you need any assistance with the scanning (by post), let me know.

Steve
Old 13th Oct 2013, 9:46 am   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I did ask him if I could borrow the pictures but he said his daughter wanted them and was a bit reluctant to let me have them. I see him on a regular basis so will have another go. He built his own Viewmaster a picture of which I have a poor scan and worked all his life in the radio and television trade. It's very frustrating but you never know! I have a very good scanner [HP] so no problem but thanks anyway. John.
Closed Thread